Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

so, i have a june 65 289 block and i am putting a 302 2M crank into it (along with the 302 rods). i just called my mustang parts supplier in my area and wanted to order a new stock style balancer. he heard the words 302 crank come out of my mouth and stopped me right there. i assumed i would just use the same balancer but he says its different and there are a couple options. i am hoping somebody can advise of which one i need to source? here are the details of my engine. it is a 5F 289 casting. my timing cover is the one with the pointer cast into the cover and it has the seven ribs on top of it. the pulley on the balancer is a 3 bolt pulley. the water pump inlet is on the passenger side. the crank i bought is a 302 crank that was stamped as 2M on it. the problem is i am not sure what year the crank is and the crank is at the machine shop now so i cant look at it. anybody have any thoughts on what balancer i should use? also what will this do to all my pulley / belt alignment?

thx
kent

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
289,302 and 351W all use the same 28 ounce balancer unless you are using a newer 5.0L/302 crank that uses a 50 ounce balancer. If you are using the older 28 ounce balance crank then you can use a 289 balancer for the 3 bolt pulleys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
further to the above. does anybody see an issue with using my 289 flywheel on the 2M crank?

thx
kent

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
as long as you have the older 28 ounce crank and it sounds like you do then yes it will all work just fine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
289,302 and 351W all use the same 28 ounce balancer unless you are using a newer 5.0L/302 crank that uses a 50 ounce balancer.
i definitely am not using the newer crank. my crank apparently came out of a 1968 302 and it is stamped 2M. so you are saying the balancer i have now off my original 289 will work with that crank? when i go and decode the ford casting numbers the 302 shows an outer and an inner balanced harmonic balancer. my local guy is adamant i need to use a specific 302 balancer. i am stumped!

thx
kent

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
further to the above. does anybody see an issue with using my 289 flywheel on the 2M crank?

thx
kent
Same deal as the harmonic balancer. You need a 289/302/351 28oz imbalance flywheel- not a 50 oz imbalance as used on the 5.0.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
i definitely am not using the newer crank. my crank apparently came out of a 1968 302 and it is stamped 2M. so you are saying the balancer i have now off my original 289 will work with that crank? when i go and decode the ford casting numbers the 302 shows an outer and an inner balanced harmonic balancer. my local guy is adamant i need to use a specific 302 balancer. i am stumped!

thx
kent
Yes, your 289 balancer and flywheel will work.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts

thx
kent
No such thing as a "specific 302" balancer except the Boss 302. Get a Professional Products balancer. It can be used with either the 3 or 4 bolt crank pulley and it has 3 sets of timing marks to cover the 3 different timing pointer locations that Ford used through the years.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-80006/overview/

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Your year 302 crankshaft is designed to use with a 28.2oz (commonly referred to as 28oz) harmonic balancer and flywheel, same as the 289. Your engine builder when he balances your rotating assembly (pistons/connecting rods/crank) will use the 28oz. to correctly balance your crank to rods/pistons.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats awesome guys. you've made my day. i was freaking out thinking i botched something. while i have your attention i thought i would update my build and get any thoughts on a couple things. so i am using a 5F 289 block that looks like it will have to be bored .20 over otherwise looks great and has been crack checked etc. the 2M crank and C8OE rods are going in along with hyper-eutectic pistons. standard stock oil pan. standard volume oil pump but hardened rod going in as well. flat tappet hydraulic comp cams kit and double roller timing chain. using stock 69 C9OE 351W heads to hopefully help things breath a little better. heads will be reworked but as of right now all stock stuff for the heads EXCEPT screw in rocker studs. using scorpion full roller rockers. edelbrock performer intake manifold. thinking about going with a pertronix II and pertronics flame thrower coil.

here is where the questions start. was going to use the repro arvinode dual exhaust. unsure about exhaust manifolds, was thinking K code reproductions OR headers???? if headers do i go short tube or long tube and which ones FIT? unsure about carb as well, thinking 600CFM but not sure if i should source an old 4100 600 CFM and rebuild it OR go with the holley 4160 for example? lastly, which water pump? i want to go alum. high volume HOWEVER the pump i have has a backing plate and i am having a hard time finding one on summitts site. i want to use all my originally pulleys for alt. pump and crank so it must be of stock dimensions. dont think ive missed anything..... curious as to your thoughts???

thx
kent

·
Premium Member
6,894 Posts
Before you get off too easy,

BEWARE.

There is a 1965 - 1967 Harmonic (thin, C5 number, 3 bolts)

The C8 (first 302, 3 bolt,for lipped crankshaft pulley)
The C9 (1969 unique, 3 bolt, NO Lip, must use 1969 pulley)
The D0 (1970 and several more years, 4 bolt pulleys)

That is not going into Hipo land or anything like that. There are also C2 C3 and C4 part number harmonics also.

All of the above are the 28 ounce, but thickness, diameter, etc. are different. Make sure you know what pulleys you have, as the wrong harmonic will mess up your alignment or the pulleys may not even fit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nerts i thought i was close on the harmonic balancer. so my balancer has what looks to be C5A stamped into it from what i can tell and the pulley has C5AEA stamped into it. i have attached some photos. i also just BOUGHT the balancer from summit racing that was a little bit back in this thread. if it wont fit i can probably cancel it if i can catch them before shipping. any thoughts on direction here now. as mentioned i want to keep my pulley set-up stock.

thx
kent

Attachments

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
which water pump? i want to go alum. high volume HOWEVER the pump i have has a backing plate and i am having a hard time finding one on summitts site. i want to use all my originally pulleys for alt. pump and crank so it must be of stock dimensions.
I bought this one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bra-1680/overview/make/ford from summit. Make sure that you don't get a 5.7" pump or your pulleys will not line up.
That pump is the earlier style without backing plate. Good point on casting to hub distance. (The 5.42" Edelbrock was the right fit for original 65 - 69 pulleys.)

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
nerts i thought i was close on the harmonic balancer. so my balancer has what looks to be C5A stamped into it from what i can tell and the pulley has C5AEA stamped into it. i have attached some photos. i also just BOUGHT the balancer from summit racing that was a little bit back in this thread. if it wont fit i can probably cancel it if i can catch them before shipping. any thoughts on direction here now. as mentioned i want to keep my pulley set-up stock.

thx
kent
If you bought the Performance Products 80006 it will work with your pulleys. You have the 3 bolt with lip pulley. You may have to remove the white plastic ring on the balancer for the lip to drop into the groove. The instructions with the balancer will tell you for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts