Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the harmonic balancer on my 200 6 cylinder engine. My A/C was added and as such, a pulley was added to the factory single groove balancer. Since I am replacing it, should I just go with a dual grooved balancer or stay with the single groove and re-install the pulley ?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I would probably stay with the setup you have. If the dual groove in not spaced the same you might have to fight the compressor location.

Reactions: rbohm

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder about the actual balance though. Seems like a one piece balancer with 2 grooves would be better balanced than a single groove with a cast steel pulley attached to it. The single groove pulley is about half the price though.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I wonder about the actual balance though. Seems like a one piece balancer with 2 grooves would be better balanced than a single groove with a cast steel pulley attached to it. The single groove pulley is about half the price though.
the balance is the same regardless. go with the set up you have now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 200's also have a bolt on pulley that fits into the standard one groove balancer, making it into a two groove.Would that work for you ?
DannyG

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Zero difference in balance. The one grove harmonic balancer pulley is simply imbalanced to match the engine and the bolt on pulley is balanced itself.

V8 cars have zero pulleys built into the balancer and the necessary pulleys are bolted on from there.

Reactions: Fitch
1 - 7 of 7 Posts