Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the 289 out of my '65 to rebuild it. I bought a balanced rotating assembly from Eagle and am at the point where I am ready to install the balancer that came with the kit. It is a PowerBond balancer part number PB1070N. Was mocking up the timing chain cover and HB, noticing it looks larger than the original one and has four bolt connection to pullys vs the original three bolt that came off. Can I reuse my original HB or do I have to go the route of new dual V-belt pully and line up accessories in the following steps?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Buy a pro products balancer, will allow use of your 3 bolt pulleys. Easiest solution. We just posted links in a thread a week or so ago...summit was 130, amazon was like 88$.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the fast response, I will look it up. Since this kit was balanced by Eagle, will a different HB cause an issue?
Disclaimer this is my first rebuild and I did try to call Eagle to ask them first but their tech support is closed until Monday.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
As long as you have correct imbalance for you engine...28 oz or 50oz it should be fine. I would contact eagle to see if they will supply the correct balancer for your pulleys. You might get it for free if you send back the wrong one.unless you have a custom zero balance rotating assembly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to get this thing buttoned up over the weekend but I feel like I should wait to chat with Eagle.

Thanks again coupster!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yeah, I’m impatient too. Time find something else to fix on the car. Do you have your old balancer? It should work if the balance is still the same? Guess that would eliminate the “balanced assembly“, but could get you running this weekend ...and change later?

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
It's best if you work with Eagle. They have supplied you with a balancer that is incompatible with 65-69. However, they should have no difficulty matching the balance of your incorrect one with that of a correct one, if you send it back.

Now the question is, did you stroke the engine with this kit? Because there is no such thing as a 4-bolt 289 balancer. Kinda calls into question whether any of this kit is compatible with your engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have the old one, but I pulled the crank out and put in a new one, that came with the flexplate and HB. As much as I want to get it done, I dont want to potentially do the work twice.
I think what you and 22GT said about working with Eagle makes the most sense.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
So I pulled the 289 out of my '65 to rebuild it. I bought a balanced rotating assembly from Eagle and am at the point where I am ready to install the balancer that came with the kit. It is a PowerBond balancer part number PB1070N. Was mocking up the timing chain cover and HB, noticing it looks larger than the original one and has four bolt connection to pullys vs the original three bolt that came off. Can I reuse my original HB or do I have to go the route of new dual V-belt pully and line up accessories in the following steps?
You can buy conversion pullies from CVF Racing to work with the 4 bolt balancer and passenger side water pump setup your 289 uses. That would allow you to use the 4 bolt balancer. Just an option for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Following up. Just called Eagle and they told me to use the original HB as long as it is 28oz(which is is) because they balanced the crank to work with a 28 oz HB and flexplate. So I can reuse it along with the 2-belt V groove pulley.

Thank you for the responses during a Holiday weekend you guys!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Easy solution...worth the wait...

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Following up. Just called Eagle and they told me to use the original HB as long as it is 28oz(which is is) because they balanced the crank to work with a 28 oz HB and flexplate. So I can reuse it along with the 2-belt V groove pulley.

Thank you for the responses during a Holiday weekend you guys!
That's nice, so are they going to allow you to return the $100 part you cannot use?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's best if you work with Eagle. They have supplied you with a balancer that is incompatible with 65-69. However, they should have no difficulty matching the balance of your incorrect one with that of a correct one, if you send it back.

Now the question is, did you stroke the engine with this kit? Because there is no such thing as a 4-bolt 289 balancer. Kinda calls into question whether any of this kit is compatible with your engine.
yes, stroking engine with kit. Sorry 22GT, didn’t see the question.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That powerbond was probably an SFI balancer with a higher rpm range than a stock style balancer. They are made made to resist the tendency of stock style balancer has of rotating on the inner hub. At very least, before you button everything up, verify that the TDC timing mark is in the correct position on the old balancer and hasn't spun on the hub.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That powerbond was probably an SFI balancer with a higher rpm range than a stock style balancer. They are made made to resist the tendency of stock style balancer has of rotating on the inner hub. At very least, before you button everything up, verify that the TDC timing mark is in the correct position on the old balancer and hasn't spun on the hub.
That is a good idea, thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts