Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 289 and went to turn it over by hand(it’s on a stand)and the balancer is hitting the timing chain cover. I don’t know for sure if it’s original but when I got the motor the balancer wasn’t on all the way. I have another one from a early 70’s 302 but it looks the same.can I just grind down the cover where it’s hittin?its not much,maybe 1/8”.the motor is upside down in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
That's a later 4 bolt balancer, earlier was 3 bolt. Everything else, including pulleys needs to be later to match.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will a later timing chain cover be different than the one for a 1965 289?I’m pretty sure all the pulleys I got with the motor are 4 hole.maybe I can just swap out the covers?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Prior to 68, Ford used a cast in timing pointer. beginning in 68, a cover with bolt on timing pointer was used. In 70, with the change to driver side water pump inlet and 4 bolt balancer, a passenger side bolt on pointer was used to match the markings on the balancer.

If you're confident all your pulleys and bracketry are 70 up, and are gunna use a driver side water inlet pump, I'd change the cover. You need to know what you have.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You got yourself there a timing cover for a non backing plate water pump. Get a backing plate water pump and timing cover and it should clear, then all you have to deal with is pulley alignment.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Is there a part number on it that might indicate if it is a 28oz or 50oz imbalanced damper? Ford switched to 50oz in 1982 for 302s

·
Registered
952 Posts
You got yourself there a timing cover for a non backing plate water pump. Get a backing plate water pump and timing cover and it should clear, then all you have to deal with is pulley alignment.
And timing marks. Won't be able to see them on a 70 balancer, and a passenger side water pump.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Are you even sure that you have a 289? With the mismatched balancer and cover. It's really a crap shoot unless you look at the numbers on the engine. Even then people do stuff like throw 302 crank, rods, and pistons, in an early block.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m positive it’s a 289.I have the valve covers off and it says 289.I bought two motors from a guy.a 289 and a early 70’s 302 and he gave me a bunch of spare parts with them.i will check the other timing cover he gave me to see if it is different but the one on the motor was on it when I got it along with the four hole pulley.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Since I have used up my weekly allocation of edits, here is a new post/followup. From what I have found the balancer appears to be 28oz so my theory falls flat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts