Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine was leaking oil from the oil pan and front cover so I decided to re-gasket every thing; oil pan, front cover, water pump, fuel pump, intake manifold. When I removed the balancer, I noticed it had a grove in the snout where the front cover seal rides. I see NPD sells a repair sleeve and I am wondering if anyone on the forum has had experience (good or bad) with these sleeves.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've used them many times. They're usually made by Fel-pro and work well with no leaks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
Tried one several years back on my 69 vert with a 302...did not have a lot of success....worked for a week, then started leaking again after that.

Just be aware that they are really thin and you need to be careful how you press them on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Definitely worth a try. Need full concentration to install and I would be at a loss at how to remove. Recommend freezing damper and boiling sleeve prior to install.

Make sure to set timing cover with damper in place

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,281 Posts
I put the balance in the freezer overnight and the sleeve on a halogen light for 5 minutes. They slide together easily if youre quick.

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
B66, we used them every other week or so. Takes a bit of skill to get them on straight and in one smooth motion. I think my employer had a special installer for them. We charged folks about 10$~ 20 to put them on if they brought part in. LSG

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I agree. If I'm going to spend all day pulling the nose off the motor and putting it back I want to make sure I don't have to do it twice.
New balancer about $85 or you can have yours rebuilt by damper dudes.

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
I've never used one on the balancer but I've used them on several spindles where the seal has cut a groove into the spindle. They've always worked for me with no problem.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Fel-pro makes great products. Buy a new balancer? What, with the correct date code and part number for a 289 HiPo?
The sleeve works. Just make sure you use the recommended sealer beteen the sleeve and the damper hub.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been using repair (or speedi-sleeves) for almost 30 years and they do work really well if installed straight and to the right depth. The ones I get are usually made by SKF or CR and come with an installation cup. With the balancer out of the car and on the bench it should be a breeze to install. I typically use Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket between the hub and the sleeve. It can be a little messy but I have had really good luck with this stuff and use it on the outside body of just about every seal I install.

Steve

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
As far as I can determine there is only one company that actually makes the repair sleeves. They sell them to Timken, National, SKF, CR or any other company and put that company's logo on the box.
You would think there would be a repair sleeve for the 28 spline 8" and 9" axles since there is a lip seal inside the rear end housing that seals on a machined surface on the axle. Nope, nada, nothing zero in that size range which is 1.375" as I recall.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
As far as I can determine there is only one company that actually makes the repair sleeves. They sell them to Timken, National, SKF, CR or any other company and put that company's logo on the box.
You would think there would be a repair sleeve for the 28 spline 8" and 9" axles since there is a lip seal inside the rear end housing that seals on a machined surface on the axle. Nope, nada, nothing zero in that size range which is 1.375" as I recall.
Ford factory installed a sleeve on the 31 spline axles with a larger seal. IIRC it is now repoduced, so there's an option.

Used plenty of the SpeediSleeves over the years. You'll mash at least one up good as a learning experience. Working in a shop, you don't have the luxury of waiting for a new damper to arrive when the customer needs the car back at the end of the day. New seal, sleeve it and back together it goes.

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
Ford factory installed a sleeve on the 31 spline axles with a larger seal. IIRC it is now repoduced, so there's an option.
Yes, the 31 spline axles originally used the same seal as the 28 spline axles but Ford discovered that the seals were getting torn as workers installed the larger axles through the seal. So they designed a sleeve that is 1.375" ID and 1.50" OD that fits over the sealing surface on the axle. Then they found/designed a seal that has the same OD as the original but has a 1.5" sealing ID.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the reply’s and suggestions. After looking at the balancer more closely, I can see the insulation ring has pieces missing and a whole lot of deep cracks. I located a used balancer locally, insulation ring is in real good shape and the snout just had a rub line from the cover seal. Used some xxx fine emery to clean it up. What is it about “shouldn’t take me but a day or so to finish this” and 2 weeks later you finally finish....on to the next simple project...:mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts