Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my balancer off and sent off to be rebuilt. What is the best method of removal of the bolts? By hand or impact? I sure don't want to shear the bolts.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
There's only one big bolt in the middle. The three bolts on front are just for the crank pulley.

An impact wrench works good on the balancer bolt because you don't have to worry about the engine turning when you're trying to loosen it.

·
Registered
37,687 Posts
Well, you're not going to shear the big center bolt. You can use a ratchet and socket on the three pulley bolts but I like using an impact on the big 'un.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
You do have a harmonic balancer puller...right? Just have to ask.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
You do have a harmonic balancer puller...right? Just have to ask.
Was totally going to say this as well and totally spaced it!

Reactions: LeeFred

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a puller, but how can I get the pulley off of the balancer before I pull the balancer? I have the 3 outer bolts off and the balancer bolt in the middle but the pulley is still attached/stuck? How can I remove it without messing anything up?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You'll have to give it a thump. There are little nubs on the rear of the pulley (around the bolt holes) and sometimes they stick in the balancer.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
If originality isn't a huge issue, The Dayco Powerbond dampers are reasonably priced and have good reviews.

Reactions: Blues Power

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
b4 the days when i had air tools i got mine off by wedging crow bars in there so the motor wouldnt spin. it was a PIA but once i got it all to hook up and lock the bolt came right out

dont forget to order a front seal

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
If you use a hammer or pry bars on the pulley- move around and don't concentrate on one spot as you can end up bending the lip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts