Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months back I posted a question asking how to determine how you know when a harmonic balancer has gone bad. I asked since my sons mustang developed a severe vibration. Well after taking it to a couple of mechanics, and a few hundred $$$$ later I found the problem. It wasn't the harmonic balancer, the flywheel, the fan, the transmission, the engine or trans. mounts, it was the blasted distributor.
I had mechanic who wanted to tear down the trans and engine to locate the problem, but none of them could diagnose the distributor. It was only after the rotor and cap mysteriously popped off that we came to the conclusion it was the distributor.
So I thought I'd pass this on to save any of you with mysterious vibrations - check the distributor.

·
Registered
676 Posts
What kind of vibrations did you have? I have an oscillating vibration and I don't know where it is coming from. I replaced my balancer, but that didn't fix it. I can feel the vibration in park when I let the engine run at a higher RPM then idle.....

RJ
68 Diamond Blue Coupe
Sprint Promotion A
289 2bbl with a C4

Click Here For Home Page

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
An oscillating viabration may be found in the torque converter... I had that problem and a torque conv. replacement fixed the vibration.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the bearings I believe, when we pulled it out and tried spinning it - it would barely spin without binding. The car died one day in the middle of one of the busiest intersections here in Phoenix, thank goodness there was a cop who liked mustangs and help my son hand push it to the side of the road. Well after it was towed home we found that the rotor was laying inside the cap and the connection to the cap was seared off the rotor. The straps holdind down the cap were off, we thought someone was messing with the engine until the cap popped off again.
So the whole distributor was bad, and $50 later up and running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts