Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know if I’m searching wrong or what, but figured I’d start a new post since I can’t hit on it, so sorry in advance if this has been previously discussed. If there is a prior link, please post it.

Has anyone taken a 65-66 front bench seat and had it custom reupholstered as the “Pony” interior using the Pony upholstery? If so what is involved and how much was the cost (I understand cost can vary due to geographic locations and independent shop labor)?

How rare is a front bench seat to begin with?

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
696 Posts
Haven't done or seen it done, but I bet it will look SUPER👀👍

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
If you mean this: I took repop Pony seat material and some '85 Mustang seats down to a well known local upholstery shop and had them combine the seat upholstery with the '85 seats. These were for my former 66 Mustang.
Cost was $800.00 some 10-15 years ago. The 85 seats sat higher as, at the time I didn't lower the seat pans, so, they were in the car about 2-3 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cobra-jet I put pony set covers in a coupe with bench seat, installed same as standard seat covers

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
I would think you could use the bucket seat tops on the upper, a back seat bottom on the lower, and some extra main color material for the arm rest. Very cool.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
TMI will make them for you. You have to call and have it done as custom order.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
117 Posts
Someone must make a Pony upholstery kit for the front bench seat. A year or so back when Mustangs Unlimited was selling off their vintage parts, I noticed a maroon one for sale on their site. I wish I'd picked it up, the price was good, and I've got an extra bench seat laying around I've been thinking of putting in my car. I can't remember what brand it was.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies and the above TMI picture.

So how rare (or common) is the front 65-66 bench? Was this just an option that a Buyer had the chance to select themselves, or was it a Dealer ordering selection of the time?

If there’s a prior thread that anyone knows of regarding bench seat stays, please do feel free to post and I’ll peruse it.

Appreciate the responses!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the replies and the above TMI picture.

So how rare (or common) is the front 65-66 bench? Was this just an option that a Buyer had the chance to select themselves, or was it a Dealer ordering selection of the time?

From the CJPony Site:

First Generation Mustang Production Numbers | CJ Pony Parts

1966 MUSTANG PRODUCTION NUMBERS

Body CodeBody StyleDescriptionTotal Produced
0765AHardtop422,416
0765BLuxury Hardtop55,938
0765CHardtop W/Bench Seat21,397
0876AConvertible56,409
0876BLuxury Convertible12,520
0876CConvertible W/Bench Seat3,190

1 - 11 of 11 Posts