Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
A cheaper way to get the flat crank is have one made for a 289-351 block. Then have a custom cam made. Imagine the sound of a 289 with a flat crank at 9000 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TssXF8yQek
LOL.....I am not sure how that would benefit me in any way or what I would do with it...BUT...if I had the time and money I would do that just for the awesome factor. That would be a blast listening as I wound up through the gears.
Why don't you do it and let everyone know how it does?

·
Registered
632 Posts
LOL.....I am not sure how that would benefit me in any way or what I would do with it...BUT...if I had the time and money I would do that just for the awesome factor. That would be a blast listening as I wound up through the gears.
OK, so while you are at it, how about a set of semi-hemi heads to go along with the flat plane crank!

https://www.rcnmag.com/d-i-y/muscle-mashup

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
My 396 already makes about 600hp. I wouldnt waste my money on it either. I talked to race engine builders and race car builders several years ago. The flat crank gives less rotating weight and allows the engine to rev a tad faster. The exhaust pulses in the headers are evened out. There is also the other vibrations that the flt crank produces that can cause things to break. If you are a professional racer that little tiny extra bit might be what you need to win a race. As for the sound I dont like it. I like the low end growl of the 90 90 90 90 crank.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I came across this website today. Looks like long blocks that are using flat plane cranks. I see SBF 8.2” and 9.2” decks with Windsor or Cleveland heads. Not sure if you can get a rotating assembly though. I emailed more info on that.

https://steviescrazygarage.com/available-flatfast-crate-engines/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hello everyone. Haven’t been on here in a while. I’m currently doing this swap. It’s much like doing a coyote swap. Car is my 1968 Mustang hardtop.

There is a Build section on this forum, if you have some spare cycles to post pictures and write-ups, I am sure a lot of people would be interested in following your progress.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hello everyone. Haven’t been on here in a while. I’m currently doing this swap. It’s much like doing a coyote swap. Car is my 1968 Mustang hardtop.
Very nice and with stock towers? Is that a hydroboost? Did you have to modify or relocate the master cylinder and pedal box under the dash?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

And I thought my engine bay was right with a Cleveland on a 68 coupe.... Wowser!

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

That's the scariest thing I've seen online since I watched the scene of Lampwick turning into a donkey in Walt Disney's "Pinocchio".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very nice and with stock towers? Is that a hydroboost? Did you have to modify or relocate the master cylinder and pedal box under the dash?
Not stock towers, I used the AJE Racing K-member and adjustable lower control arms, then used '03 Cobra spindles and brakes with the bilstein shocks and coilovers from MM. This allowed me to cut the shock towers back and then I replate them with sections of 1/8" steel. This is sorta like what Dave Stribling did on the Mustang in Black, but I'm just a DIY in my garage. I ran this setup for a couple years with a '14 coyote and it worked incredibly well. This setup will add about 100 hp over the coyote setup. The voodoo bolts right in place like the coyote did. The hydroboost is '03 Cobra as well, didn't need to move the pedal box at all since it has a nice upward angle to it, opened up the hole on the firewall a little and it fit very nicely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And I thought my engine bay was right with a Cleveland on a 68 coupe.... Wowser!

It looks tighter than it is because the the shock towers are concave. Long tube headers fit very nicely and there are a couple of inches on either side for clearance. A/C lines and hydroboost lines make it look tighter also. But I'm an F-16 mechanic and there's nothing tighter than those when changing any kind of part. Made this thing easy.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts