Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all over the Forum and all I can find is negative comments on Custom Autosound Radios. I am thinking of getting one but it sounds like they are all no good or don't last over a few months. Does anyone have a Custom Autosound AM/FM radio that works good?

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I bought mine new and had it professionally installed and am going to remove it and get a new face plate insert and install a kenwood....

CAS stereos suck!!!!! they look very nice, but they suck!!!!

I hope one of their people is a member of the forum and is reading the many negative things so they can get their act together...They do look nice!!!

Mel

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
why pay 200% more for an underpowered radio/amp with a running horse logo on it?

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I wouldn't do it again.... ::

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have one that works. It surely isn't great. What is Custom Auto Sounds goal? Most companies try to create a better product. Not them! Very sad indeed. I have only had it a couple of months and the cassette system is acting up. I hate to fool with it anymore. Warranty work means more crap to fool with. So if the cassette system goes at least I have the radio (hopefully).

Anyway this is my last CAS radio. I could ramble on, but why.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
For what they ask for their crappy deck you can get a very nice cd player with decent built in amp, remote, four speakers AND have it installed in the glove box where it remains unseen but heard...very well ::
Dave

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I put a USA6-CD in my kids' fb. It "works," but only in the loosest possible sense.

For example, IF you are line of sight with the broadcast antenna, the FM receiver will pull in the station. Let one little hill or building get in the way, and the static and interference make it unlistenable.

IF you are sitting still, or driving on glass-smooth pavement, the 6-disc CD changer will play your disc. But it skips over nearly all pavement imperfections.

IF you run separate amps you can get decent sound, although both the radio and the CD have the worst signal to noise ratio you have ever heard. But if you try to run speakers off the internal amp, you'll get no bass at all, and that signal to noise problem will be multiplied by a factor of ten.

I hope they're rigging up a special corner of hell for whoever is calling the shots at Custom Auto Sound. These guys have no scruples at all. They're thieves, plain and simple.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi, i've got one of their kenwood units that controls a 10 cd changer, bought it 8 years ago through JC Whitney and had nary a problem with it (never use the cassete part though so i dont know how durable it is).

James

·
Registered
762 Posts
Guess I am the odd man out..I had one in my fastback for years and run one in my current convertible...I have no complaints. I even screwed up the volume knob installing it and CAS sent me a new knob assembly free and walked me through swapping it out over the phone. My theory is that the vintage Mustangs (especially convertibles) have so much ambient noise that it doesn't make sense to overspend on a system. (Also my ears are probably shot from years on the F14 Tomcat flite line!)

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I have one in my vert, but it is a Kenwood unit. KNW-801 controls a 10 disc CD player and works great. It has been in there for 4 years now and I have no complaints. I think the trick is to get the refaced Kenwood, it is a better unit than the USA unit.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I put a USA6-CD in my kids' fb. It "works," but only in the loosest possible sense.

For example, IF you are line of sight with the broadcast antenna, the FM receiver will pull in the station. Let one little hill or building get in the way, and the static and interference make it unlistenable.

IF you are sitting still, or driving on glass-smooth pavement, the 6-disc CD changer will play your disc. But it skips over nearly all pavement imperfections.

IF you run separate amps you can get decent sound, although both the radio and the CD have the worst signal to noise ratio you have ever heard. But if you try to run speakers off the internal amp, you'll get no bass at all, and that signal to noise problem will be multiplied by a factor of ten.

I hope they're rigging up a special corner of hell for whoever is calling the shots at Custom Auto Sound. These guys have no scruples at all. They're thieves, plain and simple.

Your FM problem is a ground issue..You need to make sure you get a good ground on the antenna. on the under side of the antenna you need to remove the dirt, undercoating and gook...then your reception will be real good...

Mel ::

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
OK, I decided to call CAS about my problem yesterday...nice people...I have the higher end system they took over from Kenwood powering a 6 disc changer. They were surprised that I was having trouble with this unit and did acknowlege that they had units that were crappy. They knew about their crappy reputation on the many classic car forums and said they wanted to change that. They told me it sounded like I got a bad unit from day one and that I could send it in and they would replace it...

They said they get units back with bad POTs (knobs) for the volumne but not the other side where I am having trouble. They said a majority of the problems with the kenwood unit is from abuse on the left knob....

I will keep the forum updated as to how the exchange went and how the new unit works.

Oh, and my SWMBO likes the running horse, so I have no choice as to which unit goes in her car...

Mel ::

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Can't stand mine. For what I paid for it, blahhhhhh. Maybe I should contact them as well, but I don't expect a reasonable outcome. Or I could just go there since I live close.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts