Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I currently rent out the house that we lived in when we first married. The son and his wife are living there but recently advised us that they're leaning against buying the house when the son finishes college. We purchased the house that we're now living in, a bank-owned property, at the bottom of the real estate market and moved in with significant equity which has only increased.

The rental is a 3/2, 1150/sf house with a detached 1100/sf garage, all sitting on about 2+ acres, with a small balance on the mortgage. When the kids move, we're considering moving back to that house but we don't like the way it sits on the lot and would like to move it back on the property about 50-100', to a more level spot where we could add a master bedroom, walk-in closet and perhaps a patio and a single car garage. The way it is situated now is on a significant slope and makes that project much less practical.

The house was purchased when I was previously married and was built off-site and brought in on 12" I-beams, so I know it can withstand movement structurally.

Our thinking is that we could have a foundation built and have the ancillary work done once the house becomes vacant, do the additional work, then sell our current place. But we don't want to owe more after we're done as that would defeat the purpose. But, it sure would be nice to have my garage back!!

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
My brother had his house moved about 8 miles so it can be done. They did it in two pieces. Its a 1500sqft ranch with attached garage. The basically lift it up, slide I-beams under, attach wheels and go. When it was in place, they drug it over the foundation that he had poured and set it down. Took about 2 days if memory serves.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
It would probably be cheaper to build a garage/shop at your current residence. A pole barn type construction or a steel building can be very economical.

·
Registered
533 Posts
About 25 years ago there was a house in my area that they moved about 250 feet to a new lot.
Your move should be easy, as compared to one that has to go over roads.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would probably be cheaper to build a garage/shop at your current residence. A pole barn type construction or a steel building can be very economical.
That's true. However, the idea was that we would realize the equity in the current house, move back to the other (in a much improved condition), and have $$$ left over. That's the idea anyway. But, we all know how things go.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Add up all the cost of moving the house, water, sewer electrical. Then get a bid on moving all the surrounding dirt to make the landscape more level:) One man and a tractor can do a lot in just a couple of days. Consider cutting out into the slope where you would add on, put a garage and then living area on top of that. I miss living in a split level just for the extra views it affords. Or think of all the low cost under floor storage space you might make.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
It’s not on a slab is it? If so it can’t be moved. Maybe you answered that above but I missed it. It can be done. I’ve been involved with a house move.
It could be more expensive than you think.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"It’s not on a slab is it?"

No, it was built in Carrollton, Ga., by a company called Richards and Associates (a subsidiary of Southwire). Then it was brought in on two I-beams. That was back in 1990.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
"It’s not on a slab is it?"

No, it was built in Carrollton, Ga., by a company called Richards and Associates (a subsidiary of Southwire). Then it was brought in on two I-beams. That was back in 1990.
Call them and see what they would charge...assuming they are still around...
I've seen it done on TV...if it happens on TV then it can be done....lol!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would talk to an architect first to see what can be done with the house in its current location. Next, I would look for a different House that suits your needs. Seems like the cost of moving the house would eat into your equity and you may not recoup that cost at resale.

·
Administrator
19,646 Posts
That's amazing!!! It's like it was meant to be! Did you tell the jobs you had applied to (and later got) that you lived in the state? Or that you wanted to move to the area?
Really. You revived a 7 month old thread to say....whatever that is you said? What country is that you are in?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I would talk to an architect first to see what can be done with the house in its current location. Next, I would look for a different House that suits your needs. Seems like the cost of moving the house would eat into your equity and you may not recoup that cost at resale.
@Quicksilver66 I believe this is the house he recently posted about getting a call from his son at 3AM saying it had burnt down.

·
Registered
403 Posts
@Quicksilver66 I believe this is the house he recently posted about getting a call from his son at 3AM saying it had burnt down.
Ahhh, I also didn’t notice it was a seven month old thread revived by a troll. I keep telling myself not to post stuff in the morning, but I never listen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts