Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of modifying the existing mustang brackets that I have, as the Shelby ones that I have seen in pictures, look kind of crappy.

I heard that they were about two inches longer, if anyone has pictures or measurements, that would be helpful.

Once I am done I'll post some pics

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
On mine I plan on cutting the original existing brackets and extending them myself. It beats the repopped junk that is then poorly extended. I bought a spare set from the JY for the piece I'll need for the heavy brakets. The thinner pole brackets I am going to cut them about 10" from the bumper and then slide a pole over both pieeces to it can telescope, then I will weld it in place.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this picture of a bracket http://www.nvsaac.com/photogallery/images/1967/500/67_500_610_ZZZt.jpg
which I should be able to scale from.
The bracket could be made to look a heckuva lot better than that, even though for a concours car, the roughness is probably correct.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I'm going to leave mine welded in the factory location and just extend the rod itself. Of course I will trial fit everything before painting. On my rear bumper I am eliminating the carraige bolts by mounting and welding the brackets right to the bumper. I will then fill in the holes and have it chromed.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
The picture of above is how shelby did it back then. Mine is the same way. The front end is two inches longer but if you notice the rod in the photo is two inches forward. I just took it off last night...

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
smart thinking oldrusty ! We will have to compare notes on our Shelby clones, mine goes back to the paint shop soon. What colors are you painted yours ?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
OK, we've got some conflicting information here on the outer bumper brackets. My understanding is that Shelby added an extension to the brackets and drilled a new set of holes (like the inner brackets) as opposed to relocating the "rod".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts