Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen other car forums where a person will zip tie their existing dash harness to a board and build a new one alongside it, incorporating the original connectors (as many are not available in the repop market). Wondering if this is something to consider as a winter project or am I nuts lol

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,746 Posts
That is definitely an option but why not just box everything up and send it to the guy who does it everyday...Midlife. Bet it would be more cost efficient too as he would likely have the best quality connectors and crimping pliers. And is better able to spot potential issues. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I made my own a few winters ago by taping down my old harness to some cardboard and going from there. I found a wiring company in Maryland that sold wire by the foot in all different color combinations, so I could still follow along in a wire diagram if necessary. It actually was fun to do.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It's not horrible or hacked up, just old.
Nothing wrong with old. All wiring in my early '65 are still the original mounted at the Dearborn assembly line. I just cleaned (the biggest work) and repaired what was needed and put on some new wrap. The wiring for all my upgrades was mostly done as seperate wiring. Using the same wrap for that, it still looks "stock" under the hood.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
On my last mustang I just used a universal wiring kit, laid it all out and spliced in old connectors where needed...easy $150 + about 8 hours of labor to rewire the entire car, current car has a harness that has been significantly less hacked up though, so I may or may not do the same this time around, all depending on final engine choice.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Midlife is the man. I'm just assuming he's a man, never met him. Or her :) He does outstanding work at reasonable prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I made my own a few winters ago by taping down my old harness to some cardboard and going from there. I found a wiring company in Maryland that sold wire by the foot in all different color combinations, so I could still follow along in a wire diagram if necessary. It actually was fun to do.

Were they able to supply the OE colour combinations? Do you still have the name and contact info? I make custom harnesses for four eyed Fox body Mustangs, and am always looking for better suppliers and/or better materials.

Don

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
4R Customs has a wide variety of tracer/striped wire. They specialize in Harley looms but have a ton of different color combos. The shade of the color is a bit different but the primary color combination is correct. For example on a blue/red the blue isn’t quite the same shade but it’s a blue wire with a red stripe. As the others mention getting the right contacts and the proper crimper for those contacts is key.

https://4rcustomswire.com/

Sherco Auto also has a good variety of striped wire.

https://www.sherco-auto.com/

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Were they able to supply the OE colour combinations? Do you still have the name and contact info? I make custom harnesses for four eyed Fox body Mustangs, and am always looking for better suppliers and/or better materials.
Don - slight error...the company is located in Rhode Island. Here's their website:

Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I was just thinking about Randy (Midlife) a couple of days ago, as I am assessing my headlight harnesses. It sounds like he is still hoping to get up and running before year end.

I can relate to the idea of wanting to do it yourself and I am sure you can do it. However, if you just want it done, or run into problems, Midlife would be my go-to.

·
Registered
36,558 Posts
Years ago, I built a 68 GT for my Dad. A wire had been shorted under the dash, and damaged everything it touched. No repro was available. I pulled the harness, taped it to the kitchen floor, and set about replacing each damaged section. Took a whole Saturday afternoon. After 47 splices were soldered and covered with shrinktube, I re-taped the harness with wiring harness (NOT electrical!!) tape. Looked, installed, and worked like new. Lotta work, though.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
<deleted>- deleted -
</deleted><deleted>
</deleted>
<deleted>I should have read the rest of the thread. You posted the company name. Thank you. That could be very useful .</deleted>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts