Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Dimples
3,497 Posts
Am I the only person who also goes full comi-con "Mad Men" style when driving a classic Mustang? White leather shoes, Hagar slacks, white belt, button up cardigan sweater, ugly brownish-yellow tie, Peterson pipe, and of course, plenty of Brylcreem(tm) in the hair? 1960s colognes of choice: Aqua-Velva(tm) or English Leather(tm) also required.
I don’t cosplay that way, at least, not just to drive the car. My everyday default style is pretty greaser. Low top Converse, blue jeans, Dickies work shirt and thank god I still have hair that is usually low key slicked back but will easily go pompadour.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've been in the garage for about 2 hours now, and this is going to work! I've gotten the speaker apart and figured out how things works. It turns on and off with a momentary switch. I soldered wires to the board where the switch is to be able to remote mount the switch. That part works perfectly now. I think I've decided just to mount the switch in an inconspicuous place instead of using the radio. This is mostly to save time, as I already have a momentary switch sitting in my stock. I will probably just mount it in the bottom of the dash or something. Now I'm building the charging circuit as well as the mounting. I'm cutting up the old speaker to make the mount. I have been taking pics as I go, so I promise to complete this thread with pics. Would you like me to put it here, or start another thread with more of a how-to? I'm fine either way.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm in the same boat as leefred. I refuse to listen to the actual radio, so I bought this kenwood bluetooth car amp. https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-1177524-Automotive-Amplifier-Kac-M1824BT/dp/B00UTXQL74
it's popular in side by sides and such. It's small and compact. I used the on off switch from the oem radio to trigger the amp to turn on or off, then tucked the remote wires under the carpet so the remote is right next to the driver seat. The amp is bluetooth so you don't need a physical connection to the stereo, but you can also plug into auxiliary if you want. I have a dual voice-coil speaker in the dash and two 6x9's in the package tray. Dash looks completely stock but sound system is totally modern!
Reviving an old thread.
Was just looking at the same kenwood bluetooth amp and was curious if anyone here had tried it. Search and ye shall find.

Scarlet-302 if you happen to see this I'd like to know if you still like this setup. I was considering doing exactly the same thing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought an aftermarket radio (AM & FM) that fit the factory dash. The previous owner had installed one that didn't fit so he drilled new holes and hogged out the faceplate cutout. I had to build a cover plate to hide his hack job.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
There is a lot of info on the web about repairing the old radios. Mostly involves replacing the capacitors. They also include info on adding in jacks for iPod or Bluetooth etc. It should be pretty easy to run a relay actuated by the power switch that will power on your Bluetooth speaker.

I did something similar for my Man cave art. I built a full 1966 dashboard wall art. It is fully functional. The radio, lighter, gauges etc all work. I found a computer power supply that output 12v when triggered by an external switch. I wired this through the ignition switch. So when you turn on the key 12V goes to the dash, radio etc. It was very simple to wire up.

Can you post a pic of that dash please.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The first photo is how the PO hacked up the aftermarket radio install. The next 2 are after I installed the radio and new faceplate. I believe the online company was called "Classic Car Stereos". You can research that to find their info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
It is great to read all the tunes work arounds you guys have devised.
But I am running delta 40’s and cutouts in my cars.

So if my choices are;
1) listening to a happy, lopy motor on good gas or
2) some reasonably good sounding tunes.

I got to go with the ole #1.

have fun!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts