Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been searching online for anyone who has ever attempted to making their 67 coupe hard top as a convertible. Meaning you can take the top off. As of now I came up with zero leads as far as anyone doing so. If anyone can direct me I’d appreciate. I did find this gem which was for convertible mustangs putting on a hard top. Any advice or leads would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've seen people with convertibles have a couple top or a fastback top made that fits their vert. It's cool. It's just something else I'd never have the money for.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Towne Tops keep popping up occasionally. Not really cheap and kinda scarce, since many were not taken care of and are a bit "weathered". I prefer my roadster cover- another aftermarket item from the 60's to look like the T-Birds.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
For turning your coupe into one of those, Mustangs Plus has a chassis strengthening kit that includes bigger torque boxes and rocker channels that weld to the car for added strength since you lose the coupe top. I don't know how well it makes up for it, but I have it on my coupe to make it that much stronger (among other things).

·
Registered
683 Posts
You can do that to a convertible but to do it to a hardtop would be allot of work. Basically totally strip the car down to the bare shell, install vert inner rockers, torque boxes, quarter panels and other rear seat steel, underfloor seat reinforcements, one piece upper seat pan. That's the bulk of it and it is allot of work.

·
Registered
748 Posts
A Skyliner 'Stang would be a real conversation piece!
I always thought it would be cool,if that was possible to have something like that Skyliner that converted my convertible to a fastback. Pretty sure it is doable with enough money. :) Which I don't have.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ford actually made a prototype of a Mustang Hardtop/ Convertible (Mustang Retractable) in 1965, for the 1966 Models.
Once the design of the 1959 Model was in its final stage, Ben Smith, the Ford Engineer credited with the Design of the 1957-59 Ford Retractable Hardtops, was transferred to the Lincoln Division to integrate some complex new systems into the Lincoln Models. After a relatively short time in the Lincoln Division, he was promoted to Chief Engineer responsible for the redesign of the Falcon Models for Argentina. After almost 5 years in Argentina, he returned to the states in January 1964, and was promoted to Executive Engineer for Ford International. Then in June of 1965, William Clay Ford promoted him to Manager of Package Design. From that point, in Ben's words :

1966 Retractable (Text4).jpg

[The above quote, as well as the attached picture, are from the book "Skyliner - Birth of the Retractable", by Ben Smith and the International Ford Retractable Club, and published in 1987, by Taylor Publishing Company. I was privileged to have been part of the Club's Committee that worked on this book with Ben Smith. I ended up providing 30 pages of the book, both text and pictures related to the Marketing, Promotions and Collectibles associated with 1957-59 Ford Retractables.].

While, as Ben noted, Ford never produced this Mustang, or Accessory for it, in the 90's, Ben enlisted others for help, and did end up producing a Conversion Kit for 1964-1/2 to 1966 Mustangs, to be sold through Vendors. I remember seeing these advertised, and possibly even an article in an old issue of Mustang Monthly. This is most likely the Conversion Kit that 2nd66 referred to in his Post.

I trust you have found this of interest.
Bob
1966 Retractable (Picture).jpg

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
I was joking about the Skyliner 'Stang and had no idea that it had actually been done! Thanks for the story.(y)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Please don't cut the top off a nice coupe. Sell it and buy a convertible! Then we'll help you find a top from an otherwise trash coupe to make your top!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts