Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has attempted to swap in a 2018+ S550 Mustang 10R80 into a Vintage Mustang (yet)?

If so, is there a link? If not, has anyone started gathering the parts or figured out what is needed to do it?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My buddy is swapping a 6r80 into his 03 cobra, the transmission is a monster and looks like it comes out of a semi truck. I hope the 10r80 isn't any bigger.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I've seen some pictures of folks doing it...major surgery! Revology is doing it with their Mustangs. They are ending up with some tall consoles.

·
Registered
551 Posts
if you are on Facebook join "Coyote swapped classic mustangs" have a bunch of people doing the swap. One of the most important things will be the front suspension, there are many choices, each has its pros/cons and factor in a lot of things such has trans tunnel mods, brake booster fitting, headers, etc..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it is called the silver bullet project. They have a 10r80 in a crown vic.and are developing a controler for it. It is the same people that have the adapter for 6r80 to small block ford. I did not realize the 10r is that much bigger than the 6r

·
Registered
196 Posts
The 6R80 is a huge transmission. The 10R80 is apparently 12 lbs heavier (177 vs 165 lbs without torque converters), but probably around the same size. Revology is indeed using all 3 transmissions; it's a significant cut required to get the 6R and MT82 to fit, so figure the 10R80 is probably pretty close. Two examples here found online; first is 6R80, second is MT82.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts