1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
Abso-Lutely Not! Installing air shocks or spring-loaded shocks on a Mustang factory suspension is just asking for trouble. The upper shock mount area isn't designed to handle that kind of load. That area will crack and will eventually blow out. (The reviewer who installed them on his '68 Cougar will come to regret it.)

My take is, for shocks on a classic Mustang, go with Bilsteins from Street or Track all around or go with factory-style replacements, like Monroe, from your local parts store. Anything in-between is an expensive, "Meh...".

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Same idea as a helper spring or air shock. This sort of set up is more intended for pickup trucks where somebody may be occasionally overloading the stock spring capacity like hauling a bed full of sacks of concrete, drywall or plywood or some other thing that is heavy. My (ex) wife once over loaded the rear suspension of our Nissan to the point that it partially collapsed the rear coil springs and they didn't come back. What can you do.

If I was pulling some sort of little trailer with one of these cars I might get air shocks that I could air up to help the springs when the trailer was hooked on. These little cars though were not generally the thing to buy to pull around any sort of a trailer with.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks guys.........I'll keep it moving on.....now on to something else.

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
These little cars though were not generally the thing to buy to pull around any sort of a trailer with.
You would think so. But when I was a kid back in the 70s, a LOT of Mustangs had trailer hitches and towed trailers. Back then our family car was a 1968 Firebird with a 400 and a Q-Jet. It had a trailer hitch and my dad towed a trailer loaded with his motorcycle, firewood and many, many cases of beer.

A friend of mine has a nice 1970 Mach 1. When he bought it, it had a trailer hitch and the PO used his Mach 1 exclusively for towing his trailer.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
When I graduated from college in 1988 I put a trailer hitch on my Mustang and pulled a uhaul from Michigan to California.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The 67 owner's manual shows the car towing a little trailer around.

I always thought that seemed a bit optimistic with my 200, but it's in the manual so it must be ok, right?

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I bought my Mustang in 84 these shocks were on the car. I just changed them to regular gas shocks about 5 months ago. They are pretty stiff.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Dad towed our 19’ sailboat with the ‘68 back in the day. Don’t recall who installed the hitch. The holes are plugged but still there in the car.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When I bought my 65 back in the late 80's it also had a trailer hitch. Go figure?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts