Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a intake manifold that one tread was stripped, since the carb bolts are one torqued to 7, can lab metal be used to fiill hole and drill and tap?

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
no.

is the intake aluminum or cast iron. ? if aluminum, then the hole needs to be welded up and retapped. If it is cast iron, then I'd try a heli-coil first.

Z

depending on the intake, not all aluminum intakes have abundant material around the stud hole, that is why I'd weld up the hole and not use a heli-coil right off the bat

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
The fact that it's an "original" GT350 intake, I'd give it to a competent machine shop to weld and drill. Although, rbohm's offering is enticing and will, most likely, do the job considering the low torque values. That is, if the hole is properly prepared.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'd use a heli-coil myself - used one on the aluminum block of my Honda minivan and it is strong. Looks like you have plenty of material to work with. I wouldn't weld unless you plan upon getting a lot of money out of it or if you happen to have the necessary skills to do the job yourself. Welding on engine parts, if not done correctly, will cause warping.

david

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
On my '66 GT350 I had the original Cobra Hi Rise aluminum intake welded on when one of the ears broke off. It can be done without warping if a little care is taken to properly heat sink the area around the weld location.

2 cents:

These intakes are NOT like modern aluminum alloy intakes. They are especially brittle. Using a LAB metal, or a Loctite product is not the proper way to fix a valuable part. Either try a heli-coil or weld it up. A competent welder and machinist will be able weld up that hole, check for warpage and fix if needed, and re-tap it without changing the appearance of the intake once the carb is in place. In my view welding is the best way to proceed, espescially since the intake is not even on a car presently.

Z

1 - 13 of 13 Posts