Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The advert on CJ Pony's website for this part reads: "This Windshield Ribbon Sealer is perfect to use on your 1969-1973 Mustang since they don't use a weatherstrip gasket for windshield installation. Instead, they require this special sealer! Measuring in at 3/8" wide and 15' long, this sealer should be enough for you to install your front windshield. It offers controlled compressibility for ease of installation, but it won't squeeze out or allow light to contact the pinch-weld. This product will ensure that your new windshield stays in place like it's supposed to with no leaks or gaps."

Sounds great! No tricky/messy windshield glue-in using sealant from a tube. The problem is: I can't find any reviews about, or instructions or video on how to use this stuff. It can't be as simple as peal-off weather stripping. What are the tips and tricks? Do you still need sealant around the perimeter?

Attachments

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,909 Posts
I've used it but don't like it. Tends to leak. Used to be all the rage with cheapo used car dealers when they HAD to put a windshield in a car. Because it was cheaper than the urethane sealer. I've gotten used to urethane and wouldn't even consider that stuff anymore. It's a real pain to clean up and remove from the car should you choose to remove it later. After 40 years it isn't too bad but a few years old or less, and particularly in summer, it's like some nasty combination of hot tar and used bubblegum.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
509 Posts
Back in the 80s prior to urethane it was the product used to instal near all windshields. Like everything, if done properly it worked perfectly without leaks. We called it dumb-gum. ”Hot tar and used bubblegum“ definitely fits. 😄

Now days I keep a roll in my shop for everything but windshields.

Urethane can be challenging as well but by far the better product

·
Registered
318 Posts
I used it. My understanding is that no installers want to use it, they all use urethane now & they cringe when they see it. I figured, whatever...... it held my windshield in for 40 something years or so 🤷‍♂️ once the windshield is in place I backfilled with the messy stuff, the butyl rubber.

No leaks 👍

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
I installed several windshields with the 3M butyl tape, including my current 71 Mach 1, never had a leak.

Reactions: EvoSteveo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used it. My understanding is that no installers want to use it, they all use urethane now & they cringe when they see it. I figured, whatever...... it held my windshield in for 40 something years or so 🤷‍♂️ once the windshield is in place I backfilled with the messy stuff, the butyl rubber.

No leaks 👍

View attachment 847861
How did you prep the window and opening? Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
How do you prep the window and opening? I presume you use specialized products on both. Thanks.
Cleaned the channel really well with lacquer thinner and applied the tape. I install the windshield on a day with full sun so the tape is soft. You can inspect the seal visually on the top and outer edges of the windshield. No special primer that I was aware of. If it had called for it in the tech doc, I would have used it.

Reactions: EvoSteveo

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,909 Posts
As far as I know the urethane requires a primer, the bubblegum does not. Just a very clean viable surface. I've seen it not seal because the installer failed to clean the dust/dirt off the sealing surface. Can't fault the product for stuff like that. A large part of my experience with it was being tasked with having to fix other people's faulty installs with it. Note I didn't say earlier that bubblegum doesn't work, I said I don't like it and won't use it on my personal vehicles. I tend to keep my cars a long time and any work I do is done with the idea that I may need or want to undo that work in the future. I hate cleaning up that gummy stuff. A urethane sealed windshield is a lot harder to remove but it all comes away ever so much cleaner.

Reactions: Kjsmitty
1 - 10 of 10 Posts