Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm getting ready to completely strip out my convertible's interior, paint the interior, and put all new stuff in.

I saw this book advertised: Mustang: Interior Restoration Guide 1964 1/2-1970

Have any of you guys used it to guide them through your restoration? If so, is it worth buying or would it be a waste?

I pretty much know how everything comes apart and goes together, but I'm looking for some good tips on upholstering and "tricks of the trade" in general.

Thanks,
John Thomas

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have the book. It's ok. It does concentrate on 65-66 models, absolutley nothing after 70. I don't know if it is worth $20.

It has a pretty good section on replacing convertible tops and the upholstery.

Unfortunately, its not as indepth as it could be, but then again that seems to be the problem with most Mustang restoration books.... very long on what, very short on how. However, if you are wanting something that will show you how to restore, not just replace, this ain't it.

Steve

http://chezdajez.mypicgallery.com/stevesmach1/my-72-mach-1.jpg
My 72 Mach 1 Q Code

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'll find out. I have the book as a reference for the 65 coupe and have just ordered the interior for mine. However the book is misplaced somewhere in the house and I cant find it! :( I want to review the seat restoration process to find out more info on the procedure. So far, any restoration guides I've purchased have been worth the investment.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have it here in front of me now. I don't own it but instead check it out regularily from the library. I was going to buy a copy but just haven't been to the book stores lately.

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's an ok book. I thnk the top and seat uopholstry sections are fairly complete.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have the book, I got it from the local Library. It covers all the interior also cover vinyl top installation. If you think you are going to get the book don't spend the $20.00 or so from a bookstore, check out Overstock http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=219842 they sell it for $10.65 + $1.40 for shipping they also have a nice selection of other Mustang books at great prices.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i found it a little shallow but somewhat useful especially those unfamiliar with interiors.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought it through Amazon. I'd just echo what others have already said - very short on how to do it. Photo's and diagrams amplifying the text are not very good either. In watching this forum I've seen a lot of references made to the Factory Assembly Manuals. My NPD catalog indicates they are MCA approved and Ford licensed. One of these is entitled Interior and another chassis. They seem to run around 16 bucks and most of the Mustang parts houses seem to have them for sale. Any opinions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts