Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Judging from the end of it you will have to put some kind of adapter on it to match up to what you are connecting it to, or weld in a 3/4" DD steering shaft. If doing the weld in route that will make your life more fun as you'll have to get the length just right and cutting that rod is a PITA. I should know as mine was like that and I'll never get that kind of column again.

I know you are trying to get it as cheap as possible, but this will not be the best route to take. Have you thought about IDIDIT columns? ididit | Custom Steering Columns

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like the ididit column. I've scraped together a few dollars and trying to decide what's next. Do you know what length column for 1968?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'd like the ididit column. I've scraped together a few dollars and trying to decide what's next. Do you know what length column for 1968?

Just call them up as they are very knowledgeable, and very friendly. You tell them what you are doing and they give you the options. It really all depends on if you are just replacing the stock column with a tilt, and still connecting it to the stock steering box or if you are connecting it to rack & pinion. Also to decide is if you want to reuse your stock Ford steering wheel or go aftermarket.

Since I am using an aftermarket steering wheel I went with a GM column as the turn signal mechanism is stronger than Ford, and it is over $100 cheaper.

Hope that helped. :smile2:

·
Registered
34,655 Posts
Just bear in mind that if you swap to this column you'll need to rewire your horn system to a ground-switched horn relay activated system.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Just bear in mind that if you swap to this column you'll need to rewire your horn system to a ground-switched horn relay activated system.

It isn't that hard as the instructions show how to put in a relay to make it work correctly as that is what I did when I installed mine.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a rod and custom front suspension with power steering. The steering wheel needs to be replaced

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have a rod and custom front suspension with power steering. The steering wheel needs to be replaced
I'd go with the GM column then. The wheel adapters are even cheaper than the ones for Ford splined columns.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The GM ididit column or GM of the generic eBay column
GM IDIDIT column. Call them and they will tell you the part number you need, then search for the best price on it. Sometimes it's them, sometimes not. You have to start with calling them to verify all the part numbers for everything you need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the Ebay part is made in China, stay away from it. They are cheap but junk, save your money and go with Ididit or Flaming River. Your life depends on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts