·
Registered
782 Posts
NOOOO....THINGS ARE PERFECT!!!!! :: :: :: ::

CHANGE IS BAD!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
this has been proposed MANY, MANY times in the past. the general consensus has always been we are one big FAMILY and to segment it would be a step in the wrong direction. I personally like to read many of the O/T threads, even though I may or may not respond to them. Bob hit on a formula many years back that definitely seems to work as evident buy the large number of users as compared to ANY OTHER Mustang forum like it. I think this forum is as perfect as it can get and salute Bob as the "forum Einstein" of the entire internet!!!!!!

randy ::

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'll second what Randy (Bosscars) said and add that it was tried as recently as 6 months ago.

Some people said they wanted an unrestricted O/T forum here so they could discuss things that are taboo on the main forum (like politics and religion). Bob responded by setting up an O/T forum and it lasted about 1 day before Bob shut it down for getting out of hand.

While there have been a few here that simply could not live with the non-technical chit-chat, most find it tolerable and many find it entertaining and even useful.

I'm in 100% agreement with Randy when he says the current format creates more of a "family" feel and even encourages Forum members to develop real friendships rather than consulting relationships.

Sometimes the "family" gets a little dysfunctional, but overall the formula works pretty well, IMO.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I have a question about the forumn. Which BTW is really cool and I have enjoyed it all except one tiny detail. The threads that are post are filtered to the bottom even though the thread may have had a reply...or am I doing something wrong with my viewing technique. Most forumns I've been on when you respond to the thread it brings that up current. Instead of having to go back thru days of threads to find if any responses have been posted.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with BLISTIC. I'm sure replies are missed sometimes because they are buried so deep. Is there a way to filter out the subjects with no current replies?

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
This is "pop to top", and likewise has been suggested many times. Problem is, the posts that get the most responses are generally polls, off-topic stuff, etc. The "good stuff" will be pushed down too quickly.

You can change your set up to show 50-100 threads at a time. That means that you should get at least a day's worth at a time.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
LMan -

NEVER feel like you have to apologize for asking ANY question or making ANY suggestion concerning this site!!!

Those who fear change immediately and invariably "JUMP" on anyone who dares suggest improvements - don't let them beat you down!!! It's ridiculous that anyone with a VALID suggestion should end up apologizing!!! ::

Yes - an O/T forum was opened ONCE for about 6 hours with absolutely NO rules or guidelines. When you invite people to a "free-for-all", guess what happens? They act like idiots!!! DUH! So, the "trial" :: was called a complete failure, and anyone who has since suggested it gets told how "bad" it was - GIVE ME A BREAK!

Then, there was the infamous "poll" :: The question was posed "Should we divide the forum?" with no other explanation, guidleines or proposed rules. Well, people fear change - it was dang near a 50/50 split (which was amazingly close considering that many had NO idea what it all meant ::). So, the naysayers have preached that "the masses have spoken" ever since then. I don't believe "the masses" ever knew the difference. You're right - most other forums DO split things, and it works VERY well - both for larger AND smaller forums... Many who frequent this forum, just don't "get out" and visit the others... Of course, you'd expect people with 35 year old cars to "fear change", now wouldn't you??? ;)

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I just was asking...my damn connection is so slow or it is my ADD kicking in..... Oh yeah I just read the other "pop To the Top" thread...sorry. I could understand that if this was another forumn but most of the people on here seem very intelligent and knowledgable about Mustangs. I'll try the 50 post option for now. ::

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
You're talking about "pop to the top", which works on nearly EVERY OTHER forum out there. It doesn't work here, because people are so used to viewing the forum in chronological order, that they get all confused when exposed to the way the "rest of the world" does things...

Your best bet is to set your profile differently. Set your "threads per page" to 99 (50 if on dialup), and "View threads active in the last 24 hours. You'll have 2 pages(4 on dialup) of active threads to view that way, including any old posts that have generated a response in the last day... :: Best you can do with this format... ::

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
that's a roger.....damn those wheels are pretty! Can't wait till i get mine. ::

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
It's not broke, lets not fix it....

Mel

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
"If it's not broke, don't fix it".

Funny thing to say to a bunch of people who pull off perfectly good exhaust manifolds to add headers. Or take off perfectly round steel wheels to add shiny ones. Or pull off a perfectly good Autolite carb to add a Holley!!!

It's all about improving, not fixing.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hey Cloney! You, man, are on a roll!

Are those factory wheels or are they shiny replacements? JK ;)

Hang on, this isn't coming out right...where's that delete button?...

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Cloney's doing his War Dance again....

Since you don't usually lose your mind, I'll put it down to you just being bored today.

Ignore the Clone behind the curtain....

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well....first off I was not JUmping on anyone! I was just trying to be funny, I thought that the smiles would give it away. I personally like the way things are. That is MY opinion. It may be a small one, but its MINE!! :: :: I have been to MANY other forums and again I dont think they can come CLOSE to this one. VMF is the best I have yet to see. If I wanted POP to TOP I would visit the others MORE often. But I am sorry if anyone felt like I was JUMPING on them. I did not mean to come off that way. ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Be calm.... You touched on one of Cloney's raw nerves, that's all. No need to apologize.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts