Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this Shelby and tell me if it's worth anywhere near what this guy is asking. Note that it's not the original color and it has been converted to right-hand drive. I can't imagine a U.S. collector paying that much for this car or an Australian collector paying what appears to be top U.S. market price for it. Did I miss a big upward tick in Shelby prices?

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I think he's asking so much because of the "0001". No, the Shelby market hasn't risen THAT much, yet. Probably forever outside of my pricerange, however /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

Steve

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
For a 69 rag top, that isn't totally out of line. Normally 75-80+. If seen so so cars for 65-70K.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
No the Shelby market is not that out of whack. What you're looking at is a guy who doesn't really care about selling his car. He wasting advertising space. Sellers can ask what they want. If they are not in line with the market they will be sellers for a long time. This car will be around next year and for years after that.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Set down the crack pipe and back away.

Lets see. $110,000 plus freight & misc. Lets say you spend $135,000.00 by the time you get it here hand converted back to left hand drive.

I'll spend that on:
66 GT350 - $40K
70 Boss 302 - $30K
66 GT K Vert- $30K
Garage to keep them in $35k

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Catch 22-If it sells for that much it is out of whack. Just advertising it as such doesn't make it so.

I have an acquaintance that buys and sells Shelby's for a living and he tells me that the market is stronger than ever. Like the real estate market, people are chasing anything but stocks right now. Wherever the herd is running, best to go the opposite direction.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
at the recent Shelby convention here in Southern California, there was lots of money being thrown at cars. A friend had a recently acquired 69 GT500 convertible entered in the concours show - price: 80k and he is a somewhat shrewd guy when it comes to buying cars. One of the many New Zealanders that I talked to (and sold parts to for his Boss) offered 120k to the owner of a mostly original 28k mile 65 GT350. The owner turned him down flat. One of the racecar guys parked right across from us paid 60k for a racecar that needed work, one of the pluses being it (the car) had run 24 hours of Daytona in 1970. That GT350 shown for 110k down under may NOT be targeted at a U.S. buyer but rather an Australian or New Zealander who craves for one and doesnt want to have to travel to the U.S. to find one. Plus, there are always those individuals who HAVE to have the first of anything made, so who knows......

randy

G

·
0 Posts
I saw a sweet unmolested 68 GT500 here(Australia) last week. Needs some cosmetics. Bought three years ago for AUD$40K, now worth around AUD$90K - that's about $48,5K in your money. Even for an Aussie, Kiwi buyer it's ridiculously expensive - US$110K is over AUD$200K. And why would you convert something so collectable to RHD?

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
maybe....I bump into these kinda guys all the time at local shows & cruise nights. Always the same 2 questions. Ah, whats something like that worth? And, do I know anyone selling a Shelby? They know what it's worth and they hope I don't. They also know where to find them at, local, national shows and cruise nights. Then, hands wringing, they're bragging to their buddies about the cash they made on the deal. It's not about the cars, it's THEIR form of "crack pipe". When they ask me I tell them to talk to the widow but I'm still breathing. She tells them $1.2 milloin. That shuts them down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts