Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Hate to do this..... @bay

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  RagTop 
#1 ·
I was searching that auction site and stumbled over item # 1846288216. I was thinking of doing that to my hood only I have the standard hood without signals. After looking will I be making a mistake? Again I will not be using a signal hood.

#5 ·
The placement of the scoop so close to the edge will look very strange IMO. The scoop placement on a 69 is several inches from the rear of the hood.
I would find a decent hood without turnsignals and use the Aussie shaker set up which I'm going to do with my extra hood. It just looks odd with a 69-70 scoop on a 67-68 hood.
Good luck with what you decide.
And like the others said it's your car and do what you want to it.

#6 ·
Don't do it. I was thinking the same thing as I had seen a '67 with a 69-70 scoop and it looked good. But it if is a louvered hood it looks really bad, I set mine on there to see what it looked like and it looked too big.

That Ehayer said the '68 came with that scoop? Aluminum?
I don't think so

#7 ·
My opinion is just get a repro. hood and do it to that one. Or, get an original used hood. Personally, I dont like how it looks. I dont even like it on the Cobra Jet, which I believe came original with it. But, it's your car, and you should "personalize it" the way you want. The only thing I'm saying is that you shouldnt do it on YOUR original hood, you might wanted back later.

-Art Nuñez

#8 ·
There is just something about having the turn signals in the hood that I really like. At the time it was easier and cheaper just to add the scoop with the turn signals than to buy a lovered hood.
Close up in B&W.
http://a4.cpimg.com/image/24/F8/11538724-81d8-02000165-.jpg
My Mustang from 1975 to 1983.
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/23/F8/11538723-51a7-02000148-.jpg
fd

#9 ·
I think it will look good on a flat hood. the one on e b a y looks odd because of the signal scoops.
Get another original flat hood and store your own.

#11 ·
I rescued one of those scoops from a Chevy truck. I've set it on my Deluxe 67 hood (repro) a couple of times. It looks good in a way, then again it seems a bit much with the signal vents too. The hood was $75 from a scratch+dent sale, the rather abused scoop 0$, so I'm not worried about screwing up expensive parts. The hood has yet to be painted. I figure I've got plenty of time to decide for sure if i want to use the scoop or not.
BTW, the @Bay auction says the scoop is "aluminum"? Is that right? I'm sure he means potmetal, but the one I have seems original with the correct parts numbers and is fiberglass. Just curious.

#12 ·
Ford Dude,
I must say I liked the way it looks on your hood. The one on @bay looked bad with the hood signals on it. The original hood I have is not in the best shape anyway and it does have a nice dent where the scoop will go. So all you guys who don't want me to mess with the original sheet metal can take some solace in that.

#14 ·
The 68 1/2 - 70 hood scoops are made of some sort of chalky white cast material. It aint fiberglass and it sure isn't any form of metallic material. It is sort of crumbly and is the reason so many of the original scoops have stripped or missing studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.