Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cowl hats that is.

I have a California car.

I have been avoiding checking the cowl in my restoration project and California weather being what it is this year, they haven't been checked my Mother Nature either. Since I have the dash apart for painting and the heater is out as well, I decided to check.

I have a California car.

The drivers side is fine. Its rusty up there, but no leaks. The passenger side is leaking between the collar and the rolled lip of the pan. I found a whole bunch of pine straw in the cowl area. The collars aren't pitted or anything, its almost like the collar and the lip weren't sealed. But since you cannot seal that area without taking the cowl cover off, you may as well cut out the collars.

I have a California car.

I guess I'll put in the plastic hats. Coat the inside of the cowl with Corroless and be done with it. Shouldn't take more than a day.

Did I mention I have a California car? No guarantee of being rust free, but everyone seems to think a California car is more desirable.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think the infamous cowl rust may have been a problem no matter what state/province you were in since,in many cases, it was the incorrect application of factory seam sealer which prevented the cowl from draining properly.
While you're at it you may want to make sure the drain areas are clear from obstruction (behind the fenders).

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Having just completed replacing the hats, and rewelding everything back together, I hope that the plastic caps and the rust killer will work for you. It is a PITA doing cowls.

·
Registered
967 Posts
You see the difference between a california car and an Illinois car is you actually still have cowl hats. My 67 (which ended up parted out) had nothing. I mean open space. If you look at any of the webpages where people replaced cowl hats with the steel replacements. Take note of the pictures after they cut out the metal. That's what my hats looked like. Or should I say didn't look like since they weren't there. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I am more fortunate than most. I just though that I would get away with no work at all. Thats one ofthe reasons I got this particular car.

I will be pulling the fenders and checking the drains because I need to pull the fenders to strip the body for painting. Can't strip around the windshield without pulling the fenders.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
From seeing my buddy's Michigan '66 Shelby that had floor pans, quarters and many other parts replaced in 1980 in comparison to my coupe that is a California car that has been driven (except for a few winters in the midwest), there is a huge difference. He marvels at how solid it is every time he sees it.

I marvel that he has a '66 Shelby that we used to drive to high school. (Before many people knew what they were)

You may want to get a cowl cover to keep water out when it rains or when you wash it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts