Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title states I have a couple grand I can spend. This is probably a very broad questions and just looking for ideas. Maybe my best bet is to scan the forum thread topics but to be honest quite a few threads I don't understand pros/cons of what people are doing. So here's some info listed below. Brainstorming. I also would prefer not to add things that can be "finicky" and cause me problems. For the most part this car runs really well and I don't have any major issues. Fires up and runs without hiccup every time. I'm not interested in discussing body work and paint. Mostly I just hot rod around in 1st 2nd and a little bit of 3rd. I don't corner and I don't drive fast. I like to hear it rumble and I like to spin the tires. So what are some thoughts and options I can research?

My primary thought is more power because I like power but the problem is I bought this car built the way it is and the guy I bought it from was the owner after the build and he didn't get the specs. I also don't know the overall condition. It was built in 2005. I have done compression testing that turned out well but other than that I'm not sure. It runs very strong and my "gearhead" buddy called it a torque monster when he rode with me the other weekend.

*1965 Coupe
*351W - ~400 Engine hp
*Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit - I'm not 100% on this one. Was told by PO it has top end kit with ported/polished heads. Intake is Performer RPM.
*Holley 670 Street Avenger - tuned well
*Bored .30 over
*Hooker Headers
*2 1/4" exhaust
*MSD Box/Distributor
*4 Speed Toploader - Not really interested in a 5 speed just to get overdrive. I like my toploader
*3.55 Detroit TrueTrac - gear swap to feel like I have more hp/torque? Rarely am I on the roads doing more than 55 mph.
*Car has old school traction bars and no issues with wheel hop
*Flex fan - never had any overheating problems even in 95 degree weather. Flex fan can be annoying though.
*Front disc - brakes manual - I'm fine with it
*Manual steering - I'm fine with it
*No vibrations

After typing this mess out I'm hesitant to do anything major with the motor because I don't truly know what makes it up or its condition. Is it a complete tear down to figure this out?
Would a leak down test give me everything I need to know on condition? Suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe a gear swap would give me the illusion I'm searching for. ??

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
MAybe have it dyno'd to verify HP numbers and from there you could retune or see what power adders you could do. 400 hp seems pretty good though...a gear swap might get you the seat in the pants feel of more power- but I am not sure if you went higher (gear) with 400hp if you would be able to "hook" up or just spin all the way down the road (but you said you like to spin tires) How about a line lock for the brakes so you can really spin?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If it was me, I would focus on fine tuning the carb and ignition. Having these dialed in real good can help a lot. An air/fuel ratio meter would help dialing the carb. Ideal ignition advance can yield nice power gains.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I wouldn't use the money on the engine as long as its running well...I would upgrade the suspension for the car to be able to handle better myself...but considering you have traction bars, it seems you may not be interested in the twisties anyway....

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Wow. It sounds like you have a great thing going AND leftover cash to boot. Both are good problems to have.
That what it sounds like to me. Sounds like someone has 2K to put towards their next project car :wink:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
In addition to that mentioned, I would verify what camshaft you have. You can get a rough idea with a dial indicator at the valve. I see they offer 2 versions of their RPM kit now, 400 HP and 451 HP, with the main difference being CNC ported heads, camshaft, and an Air Gap intake. I'm not sure how you could determine CR, but you could pull the intake to see if the heads are ported. 1 3/4" headers and a 2 1/2" exhaust with free-flowing mufflers MAY help a bit also.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
*1965 Coupe
*351W - ~400 Engine hp
*Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit - I'm not 100% on this one. Was told by PO it has top end kit with ported/polished heads. Intake is Performer RPM.
*Holley 670 Street Avenger - tuned well
*Bored .30 over
*Hooker Headers
*2 1/4" exhaust
*MSD Box/Distributor
*4 Speed Toploader - Not really interested in a 5 speed just to get overdrive. I like my toploader
*3.55 Detroit TrueTrac - gear swap to feel like I have more hp/torque? Rarely am I on the roads doing more than 55 mph.
*Car has old school traction bars and no issues with wheel hop
*Flex fan - never had any overheating problems even in 95 degree weather. Flex fan can be annoying though.
*Front disc - brakes manual - I'm fine with it
*Manual steering - I'm fine with it
*No vibrations
MAybe have it dyno'd to verify HP numbers and from there you could retune or see what power adders you could do. 400 hp seems pretty good though...a gear swap might get you the seat in the pants feel of more power- but I am not sure if you went higher (gear) with 400hp if you would be able to "hook" up or just spin all the way down the road (but you said you like to spin tires) How about a line lock for the brakes so you can really spin?
The first thing I thought of was higher gear, but had to re-read to see the 3.55 TrueTrac. I know you're looking for suggestions, but it sounds like the car is doing EXACTLY what you want it to do. Maybe a safety feature or two, like upgraded belts, etc...

Allen

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
From your description, your car's performance already does what you want. What exactly are you trying to "fix" with your $2K?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds like you at your max for hp/torque for your current configuration. Time to sell and move to a new project. Nice problem to have. Seems like your car is humming along nicely.

·
Registered
663 Posts
For a true performance upgrade, paint your calipers red. Instantly adds 20% braking power!

Sorry, this area isn't my strong point. Others have and will pitch in with good suggestions :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Use the money for new tires?

$2k won't get you a supercharger, but if you want huge growly tire-shredding power, that'd be 'next' I guess. I wouldn't mess with the gears. Despite you almost never going 55, steeper gears would make it miserable if you ever had to get on the interstate, and would make your first gear become less useful. Your toploader's an awesome transmission, even with no overdrive.

Another fun option might be to add some kind of ram air? Either a shaker hood scoop or just a regular one. They usually add a *little* power but they're more about looks than anything.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sounds like you may want to buy $2k worth of rear tires to have on hand. I don't know, it sounds like you have a pretty good set up...supercharger?

·
Super Moderator
8,923 Posts
Sounds like you’re pretty good as is!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

$2k won't get you a supercharger, but if you want huge growly tire-shredding power, that'd be 'next' I guess. I wouldn't mess with the gears. Despite you almost never going 55, steeper gears would make it miserable if you ever had to get on the interstate, and would make your first gear become less useful. Your toploader's an awesome transmission, even with no overdrive.

Another fun option might be to add some kind of ram air? Either a shaker hood scoop or just a regular one. They usually add a *little* power but they're more about looks than anything.
I could have sworn that I read an article a few years ago about someone adding a 5th overdrive gear to an existing toploader's 4 gears....a five speed toploader would be the ideal.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Gear Vendors overdrive (or better yet, Hone-O-Drive) is a possibility, but they're both expensive. Well over 2k. From what I remember, they don't like being engaged when you put your car in reverse, either.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought about doing a dyno. Nowhere real local to me to do it. I've seen at events I go to they will do 3 pulls for $70. Might try to find one of these. Doesn't seem like the gears idea if favorable based on the other responses here.

If it was me, I would focus on fine tuning the carb and ignition. Having these dialed in real good can help a lot. An air/fuel ratio meter would help dialing the carb. Ideal ignition advance can yield nice power gains.
I do have the carb tuned well and have put the timing light to it but you may be correct. A true professional may be able to dial it in better.

I wouldn't use the money on the engine as long as its running well...I would upgrade the suspension for the car to be able to handle better myself...but considering you have traction bars, it seems you may not be interested in the twisties anyway....
For what I do the handling is fine with me. Don't do corners. Not sure what you mean by twisties....corners?

That what it sounds like to me. Sounds like someone has 2K to put towards their next project car :wink:
Wow. It sounds like you have a great thing going AND leftover cash to boot. Both are good problems to have.
If I had room I would start another project. My wife thinks I'm nuts because I already have more room outside than what our house has. If it came down to it we'd probably be getting a car for her. She keeps hinting at it. I only have a couple grand though, not $10k+.

In addition to that mentioned, I would verify what camshaft you have. You can get a rough idea with a dial indicator at the valve. I see they offer 2 versions of their RPM kit now, 400 HP and 451 HP, with the main difference being CNC ported heads, camshaft, and an Air Gap intake. I'm not sure how you could determine CR, but you could pull the intake to see if the heads are ported. 1 3/4" headers and a 2 1/2" exhaust with free-flowing mufflers MAY help a bit also.
I really would like to know what camshaft I have. Good info.

No brainer: Pay down the mortgage. If the mortgage is paid, pay into your 401k or IRA.
You ain't no fun. My mortgage gets paid and I have plenty in my 401k.

The first thing I thought of was higher gear, but had to re-read to see the 3.55 TrueTrac. I know you're looking for suggestions, but it sounds like the car is doing EXACTLY what you want it to do. Maybe a safety feature or two, like upgraded belts, etc...

Allen
You very well may be right that it does what I want. I don't know any more than what I have. Just looking for thoughts and suggestions.

From your description, your car's performance already does what you want. What exactly are you trying to "fix" with your $2K?
I'm not trying to fix anything. Seems to me there could always be room for improvements.

Sounds like you at your max for hp/torque for your current configuration. Time to sell and move to a new project. Nice problem to have. Seems like your car is humming along nicely.
I hate to sell and move to something else because it works so well and I've put a lot of time into this car the last couple years. I believe I'm attached to it even though I'm in Chevy country and get ragged on.

Sounds like you may want to buy $2k worth of rear tires to have on hand. I don't know, it sounds like you have a pretty good set up...supercharger?
I've looked into the supercharger but again I don't want to spend that much if I don't know the condition of the motor and I read your motor has to be spec'd a certain way to take a supercharger. As far as a hood scoop, I assume you are referring to something different than what I have in my profile pic. I don't like the looks of the scoops that the opening faces the front of the car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like you’re pretty good as is!
You could be right.

I could have sworn that I read an article a few years ago about someone adding a 5th overdrive gear to an existing toploader's 4 gears....a five speed toploader would be the ideal.
Gear Vendors overdrive (or better yet, Hone-O-Drive) is a possibility, but they're both expensive. Well over 2k. From what I remember, they don't like being engaged when you put your car in reverse, either.
Don't feel the need for 5th gear. Extremely rare to get on the highway. When I was swapping my close ratio for wide ratio I believe the member Dennis111 on here said not to put the OD gear in the toploader. He may have done it and broke it or something.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts