Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While restoring your project have you ever been tempted to sell it as it is and buy a turn key Mustang? How do you avoid that temptation to sell? maybe thinking about the money and time spent in the restoration?

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
no ! i dont like all this new junk that doesnt have chrome and stainless trim, has to be smoged, doesnt have as much interior room, is illegal under the law to do an older engine swap, made of lots of plastic and rubber the deteriorates over time, has paper thin sheet metal that dings easily, and is sterlie looking compared to the awesome lines of the 65-73 mustangs. yea as far as i'm comcerned the newer mustangs look like a very poor copy of the early mustangs. i can put any engine/trans/rear in my 65 and its legal here in california ! all these new cars are an ugly eyesore to me ! they dont have any personality ! put a 68 shelby next to a so called new shelby and the 68 has awesome lines and the new one looks like a botched wanna be copy ! of course it all comes down to what you like, some of you may like the new mustang , but i dont. to me the 65-66 mustang is the best looking car ever made and the 69 mustang second best and the 68 torino 3rd best ! btw i wouldnt buy a restored car even if it was cheap ! i like restoring and hot rodding the car the way i want them. as for thge amount of money spent > you gotta pay if you wanna play , nothing is free(except a brand new set of 5.15" 289 crower race rods a friend gave me) and it takes work.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Yes and no. I do very much look forward to the days of seeing it actually on the ground, and cruising around... but at the same time the motivation for me doing this is to have a car that I did for me. I've already got an '07 that was turnkey, and don't get me wrong I love it, but it just doesn't feel like mine (even though I have the title). When I'm done with this project I will truely have MY car, done by me, for me, the way I want... every nut and bolt. I just keep reminding myself that patience will pay off in so many untold ways with this.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you Supershifter but I was referring to another Classic Mustang thats ready to drive and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
I agree with you Supershifter but I was referring to another Classic Mustang thats ready to drive and enjoy.
OH ! well there aint nothing wrong with buying one thats already ben restored, alotta people do that ! i just happen to like doing my own work cause i'm a trunk monkey , i mean a grease monkey !

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You wish you were a trunk monkey

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I went through that feeling more than once during the build of my fastback. I actually did list it for sale but with the encouragement of many enthusiasts on this site and elsewhere I pulled the ad and kept plugging away it it until I got it finished.
Although I do have it for sale now, if I had sold it back then I wouldn't have been able to feel the satisfaction of completing the car I wanted to build and I most certainly wouldn't have been able to drive it and enjoy it like I have.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I guess buying one already done is ok. After all I did just that last summer. With two 65's in the garage already taken apart and probably at least 18 months from then to I get one of them back together, I bought my 65 fastback. Well the other day I decided the engine needed to be painted the original black with the gold valve covers. The 66 blue just didn't get it on the 65. Now i've pulled everything off the engine and took the wiring loose on the fender aprons. So now i've decided to do a complete under the hood detail. I just hated to raise the hood knowing it wasn't correct. So now I have to get it back together caught the wife telling Barney( my hound Shepard mix) that now I had all three mustangs torn apart.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
No because as I tell everyone....at least you know what you have, when you buy something else, it almost always comes with "unknowns".

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've thought about selling my fastback, and using that money to buy a 2003/2004 Cobra and a nicer truck to daily drive. Most of my friends and family all tell me I'm an idiot- that usually keeps me from doing it.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,665 Posts
Never in a million years. I always threaten to do it, but I don't think I actually could. I'd miss Jane's [crotchety, grumpy, angry, rebellious] personality too much, I think.

That, and I'd have to explain to the new owners some of the strange ways I've done some things... :eek: That'd be pretty embarassing!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I did it! I had a 65 6 cyl. coupe for quite a long time and was slooowly restoring it. Trying to decide whether to swap everything out to a V8 when I came across the one I now own. I'm a remodeling contractor and the P.O. needed work done on his house, let's say I made a good decision to trade labor for the car! Sold the 6 cyl. to the first person who looked at it, and she already has it restored and on the road! I still have some second thoughts about it, but it was the right thing for me.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It has crossed my mind several times but I don't trust anyone to build the car. I only trust a handful of people to work on my car.
What tempts me to buy one over building it, most projects sell for much less than what is put into it. But I like to build MY car, so I tend to seek out 6 cylinder cars that are already beat up. I don't feel so bad throwing away beat up I6 steering and suspension.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The bad thing about selling an "unfinished" project is that potential buyers will reduce what they are willing to pay based on perceived risk. I.e. most would pay more for a completely assembled, but poor condition car than they would for a disassembled car. Most buyers don't have the ability to inventory all your boxes of parts and confirm that everything is there and without being assembled, there is no way to verify which parts still work and which do not. Mabe you've already replaced the floor pans and you have a rebuilt motor, but its still sitting on a stand. The value of what you've already done is offset by the risk that some very expensive part made of the rare earth element "unobtainium" is missing from your stack of boxes or the engine won't run when it is reinstalled.

I've both restored a Mustang and bought one already restored. The latter is certainly cheaper, but I like getting my hands dirty as much as I like sitting in a lawn chair next to my car at a cruise or show. I suggest just soldier on, and when you are anxious to be done, take break and come out to a car show anyway. I always bring an extra lawn chair. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
and buy doing all the work yourself you can build it the way you want it. who besides me would build a wagon that looks like......this !!!:shocked::shocked::shrug::shaking: !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
like many others, I've done it both ways. I've restored them, and bought them pretty much finished. These days, I much prefer mostly finished. I don't much have the patience or inclination to restore them anymore. edit: plus, as noted, it's cheaper in the long run to buy one already mostly finished.

As for not knowing what you're getting if you don't do it yourself- it's not hard to spot shoddy workmanship. It kind of leaps out at you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts