Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1967 GT500
696 Posts
I have so much work to do on my 1967 and I haven't touched her in a month given all car shows have been cancelled

·
Registered
77 Posts
And how long have you been working on this project?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I much prefer to do 1 or 2 things at a time and then drive it. Our mustang needed everything but I started with carb rebuild, ignition system upgrade, electrical system, then drove it. Brakes, then drive it. lower front suspension, rear suspension, then drive it. Rear end rust repair almost finished, then drive it. That one almost burned me out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just finished my mach rebuild so I know the feeling.
Had the mach for many years prior to full on resto of body.
Do brakes, steering, drive train while hopefully driving it. get all the bugs out before paint and body. Have some fun driving it along the way, do your best and enjoy small wins along the way.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Best advice I got when I first got my car was from Ray Klemenz (RayCFE from CMF back in the day):
Don't work on the car for more than 3 hours a day. When you get out from under the car and say "Where did I put that 7/16" socket?" (and you start feeling like Mr. Hyde), it's time to stop, look at the car, and maybe review some photos you took some time ago, and see how far you've come.
Been driving it and still working bugs out since spring 2017.

Engine Bay 9-12-15.jpg IMG_20150731_195234261.jpg IMG_20160326_231108261_HDR.jpg IMG_20170204_221817024_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
Every day. Every dratted day. I have to work on Diane virtually alone. The BW helps out a little bit but she's not as spry as she once was (neither am I), so I do what I can when I can. This forum is a Godsend ; I've gotten so much good advice and help, can't say thank you enough. There's a local club here but I dropped out - nobody seemed interested enough to even offer any advice. But there's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel here - I hope it's not an oncoming train!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Purchased my car 2 years ago, people asked what I was doing buying a project car that hadn't been on the road since 2001. Engine was dead and tranny was in the trunk with a bunch of other parts. Here we are today and I'm getting it ready to be registered this week and finally back on the road. This is my first project of this size. I work on cars as a hobby and never had any training or education for it. I admit I am getting help on the final phase with connecting all the electrical and getting the timing right but in the end I still feel good every time I look at it, and it still needs paint! Keep telling yourself the car is coming together and one day you'll be enjoying it and your accomplishment for getting it done.

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I look at my box of parts of things I plan to fix or change i feel at times my rebuild will never end.
I have managed to get a few of the goals I set but lately....
Now add this Texas heat my progress has stopped.
I know I need to set some small goals to get back on the success track.
The title of this thread made me laugh out loud! I have regular conversations with my 66. Some positive, some not so much. I went through a time a few years ago with significant issues where i wasn’t on speaking terms with my Mustang. (We’ve since made up and are close again)

Allen

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
There are times I'm glad we just can't casually by dynamite.

Recently, I decided to strip the paint off the driver side rear quarter panel as I had issues with the paint cracking and rust coming through. Forty years ago, I was hit by a honda civic right behind the driver's door and had the repair done by a friend of a friend. The repair lasted this long, but it was time to see what was going on under there. I figured I would strip the paint, clean the metal up, prime it, and shoot a couple of coats of paint on it and be done. Once I got the old paint off, I found some major issues regarding a extremely wavy piece of old quarter panel that was used to patch the damage from the honda, lots of bondo to match the quarter panel to the door and other areas, and one are where it looks like someone with a grinder went through the metal and fixed it with more bondo. Very discouraging! I sprayed the bare metal with primer and figured out what I was going to do. It took me over a month and a chance encounter with a friend who does body work and paint to finally get the job done. I'm happy now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last year I started a 30 day engine swap.

Im still a couple months away from having an engine back in.

The To-Do list grows and grows. Everytime I line out one item, Im adding two more.

My 67 is in great shape compared to some of the rusty projects others have taken on, I keep reminding myself it could be a lot worse and a lot more work.
Late reply here.

Bought an engine for my birthday in January 2018 for my 65. Still not done.

Bought a 2019 in that time period, too....

Life.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hard to add anything that hasn't already been said, but took the car apart 20 years ago and still a ways from the finish line. I have been enthusiastic, determined, discouraged, and pissed, and have loved it, hated it, cried, swore, celebrated, and changed it's name to That Damn Car. My avatar shows how the car (still) is. I'm reminded of the 6 phases of a construction project:

Enthusiasm
Disillusionment
Panic
Search for the guilty
Persecution of the innocent
Honors and accolades for the non-participants

Seemed there was always something more important to do, it became the proverbial back burner, and still is. Doesn't help that in the last 1-1/2 years I've had 3 surgeries, and now recovering from knee replacement, so on hold again. Funny thing is, I learned so much from doing this one (my first) I'd like to do another. Wife does not find that funny.

BTW, I subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines, and think it would be interesting to see them offer an ongoing segment on long duration builds like mine (entitled, of course, The Proverbial Back Burner). Maybe a page dedicated to a couple of rotating builds where you can see the issues, setbacks, solutions, and progress made on an ongoing basis instead of just summing up 5 years of work in a 3-5 page article. Matter of fact, I like the idea of a magazine dedicated to ongoing builds.

Oh, wait, maybe that's what youtube is for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I am so new to building one of these Pony’s, I am finding motivation within this thread. The saying on “how to eat an elephant“ certainly comes to mind. Heck it took me a couple of weeks to just get the drums unstuck after digging the car out of 8” of Texas soil. The upcoming journey is going to o be very rewarding.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe
34 Posts
Bought my 68 in 1989. 6 cyl, 3 speed. Blew the motor, tubbed it and swapped in a 302 & auto from Granada. Drove it like that forever. Sometimes it ran, sometimes it didn't. Wife tells me it's time to finish it. Ground up (wasn't meaning to but I have some time and money now) and have days where I don't want to deal with the newest headache. Got motor and trans delivered today and something happened during the process. Motor is leaning on the tranny and boxes were squashed. Somehow nothing seems broken. This seems more like a heard of elephants and not just one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought my car in 1989 and powered through a v1.0 restoration that I completed in 1991. I've enjoyed the car since then, doing smallish projects along the way.

Last year I decided to bite the bullet and do the driveline that I'd been thinking about for years. Honestly every part I buy has issues. I dont want to trash talk any vendors in particular, but wow ... quality isn't a thing anymore ... for anyone. Literally every part is an uphill slog. Even super simple things like bolt kits (from a VERY well known vendor) don't fit. Bolts ....

It's getting old. Today I received a part that's been back and forth FIVE times to the vendor and it still doesn't fit. It's a basic engine part. The Windsor isn't exactly a mystery. I have a Cosworth BDP powered Lotus Elan, a Lotus Super Seven, and a Dunstall Norton. I expect parts for those to be tricky. A '65 Mustang ... these parts should be easy. That's a big part of what makes these cars appealing. Seems like the aftermarket has lost interest in quality where older cars are concerned. Shame. It makes a hobby that should be a stress reliever into a bummer.

-Kyle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Eight year full tear down rebuild here. Everyone gets to frustrating times usually around those tougher things like your wiring. I found a few decent ways for me to keep some momentum:
-fix a 'quitting time'-weekday nights I go to wrench stop at 9- this keeps me from pushing too fast or making (too many) hasty decisions.
-often the last thing I do is prime or spray parts- stopping with a shiny or clean part feels good
-sometimes in the middle of a longer grubby or tough job, take a break and do one of the quicker but showy tasks. Even if it is polishing an old moulding it looks good and seems to keep wives and less-tech friends feeling like there is progress
-take pix of your progress. look at them. pat yourself on the back
-when you hit a big wall take a longer break. Have a car resto buddy/guru visit your garage. That will fire you up

-when asked 'When are you going to finish?" say If its got a delivery, it ain't a hobby!!

As others have said, once you are over the hump things will get better

Reactions: RWBaeth

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine was a 14 year build with several great friends. Unfortunately I lost both of them before the car was finished enough to drive but I only need to look at or touch a particular piece to bring back some really great memories. I spent years enjoying other folks classics at shows or on the road- saying "one day, one day". When that day finally arrives and you become a participant it's worth all the blood sweat and tears (and a few bucks). My boys had a license frame made that states- 66 Mustang / a work of art in progress. It's true.....

20160816_182015.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine has been a 5 year project; 3 years in a frame shop, 1 year for body and paint and over a year with me doing the re-assembly, re-wire, etc. If I don't step away periodically I start to make mistakes. I do it for the fun of it and the enjoyment of bringing a vintage piece back to life (I've done that to many of pieces of furniture and 2 other cars). If the fun stops, then take a break. It'll still be there when you come back.

·
Registered
954 Posts
My Mustang has been sitting since I got it 3 years ago. Last summer I binged watched Roadkill and went to the garage knowing I would make the engine run! It had been rebuilt just before it was parked 20 years ago. Then I found out why it was parked 20 years ago. The only thing usable was the timing chain. Everything else was damaged by the builder's technique. I did find a nice engine 2 weeks ago and the excitement has returned. I felt like Woodstock dancing on Snoopy's dog house. Other cars and 3 kids make it easy to get side tracked.

I'll never forget a guy I met at a local car show with a very nice car. He talked about the years he spent building his car. He said he would cry sometimes because he was so overwhelmed with the work he had to do and his wife would force him to go to the garage and work on it. So I guess things could always be worse!

·
Registered
130 Posts
So I have been restoring my car for about 30 years. I cannot name the number of times I walked away, sometimes for a week or two but sometimes for several years. Real life and family always take precedence, and I learned many moons ago to stop working on something when frustration levels rise. Not that the tension cannot be overcome, but (speaking for myself) things seem to get broken or made worse when working while angry.

Every time I feel like I am getting close to done I realize how many little things are needed. So now I answer "never" when people ask when it will be finished.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts