Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
So I have been restoring my car for about 30 years. I cannot name the number of times I walked away, sometimes for a week or two but sometimes for several years. Real life and family always take precedence, and I learned many moons ago to stop working on something when frustration levels rise. Not that the tension cannot be overcome, but (speaking for myself) things seem to get broken or made worse when working while angry.

Every time I feel like I am getting close to done I realize how many little things are needed. So now I answer "never" when people ask when it will be finished.
A word of advise for the dishearted ! Don't ever just stop have a 66 that I let get into pitiful shape because life got in the way & I'll get to it one day from about 20/25 years ago. Retired 4 years ago got the money pit in Dec & find hey I still like to work on the Fords. Got 2 newly acquired projects waiting in the wings just got to get a workspace besides the yard where it somewhat dry & out of the sun.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm also in the midst of what feels like a never ending project. I was doing shakedown runs on my 66, thinking it was done, when the #1 piston decided it didn't want to play with it's 7 neighbors anymore throwing pieces of itself everywhere.

It may sound dumb, but I've been able to get a little lift in my spirits working on the car by having a dry erase board in the garage. I don't list everything I need to do (because it might feel overwhelming), but I do put up roughly the next 7 or so steps. Sometimes I break them down even further than usual or if something new pops up that I handle I make sure to add it and mark it complete. The ability to put a line through something on the board gives me a little feeling of accomplishment and helps keep me focused.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hey Edbert, start with an outline diagram and 2 beers.
30 years? Maybe your trying too hard. Sometimes a person needs to say"That's good enough" and move on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’ve owned my 65 convertible for 23 years, and it still isn’t done. When I got the car I had so much enthusiasm....then life happened....I got the car painted but it never fully got put together....I met my wife, my parents got sick, we moved, we started a family and well, 23 years later I have been driving around with an incomplete car....I am at the point that I am just happy to schedule someone to finish it all and pay for it. Heck I would be thrilled to find someone who I could pay to come over to my house (or me go to theirs), bring my parts and let me help them to finish the things I need to be finished! Of course, there have been many times when I’ve been frustrated but as it is my dream car I’ve never been tempted to get rid of it....most of the time I take a quick drive and I am just more than happy about everything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sometimes theirs a challenge, family, money, time, etc. , you still find time to imagine what to do next. Look at the upside, what parts are available now, that you couldn’t get 5 yrs. ago. Think of that. And, you still own the mustang !

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've gotten so sick of working on my '65 fastback, I bought an '88 Mustang ssp. Yeah, I don't know why either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have been frustrated yes, but as someone else said, you go and see another one run, what they did, and your renewed. Now I have my 68 on the road and doing well. I keep adding little things and keep getting other parts fixed and running correctly. Now I am driving it around with a smile. As I keep going with it, I remember why I kept up with it. Now I know it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
If someone claims they’ve never muttered the words, “how will i ever get this thing (expletives deleted) back together again.......” ,
.......or words to that effect, then you know they are a liar.

at some varying point, regardless of a person’s experience level, one gets to feeling a little (or a lot) overwhelmed.

When that happens to me, I know it’s time to walk away until my attitude and confidence level have improved.

Z

·
Registered
174 Posts
I started and stopped and started and stopped many many times. I definitely felt like I bit off more than I could chew at times and even lost interest for a good while. One day my wife said we need to get that car done! It took another year but we did it! I still find small things to do or change but otherwise we’re happy with the way it came out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Kinda gives you an idea of how long it took me. Lol although not really finished at this point yet

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
34 Posts
The biggest thing I have Learned about any car is that not matter what, your gonna get aggravated and that’s when you walk away. Take 10 minutes, ten hours, or ten days to calm down and think about what your trying to get accomplished and then when your ready try again.
It’s why I usually want two projects so when one has me aggravated I can Take a break and go to the other one. Lol

61 - 72 of 72 Posts