Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about installing headers on my 73 vert with a 351C-4V and C6 auto transmission. Looking for feedback from someone who has done this. What brand? How did they fit? Ceramic coated? How tough was the installation? Did they add significantly to the amount of heat in the engine compartment? Was exhaust hookup a problem? Was it worth it?

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I swapped a 351c to my 71 'vert, I had to change out the headers because I went from auto to manual. If you can get the car far enough off the ground, it's pretty easy, you need a few feet. I think all 351c headers are long tube and will not fit the factory exhaust. My old auto headers were close to the starter and burnt it up every year or two; my new Headmans are much further away and should be better. Heat is not really an issue, and I'm in Florida. Doing the headers alone will only give you more noise, but if you were doing a whole exhaust, I'd use them every time. My $.02 :D

G

·
Definately ceramic coat them. It will help a bunch with heat and they'll never rust out. Plus, they look pretty cool too.If you have them coated after you buy them, you'll have choices in colors too(although I think its more expensive).

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Hooker Comp # 6915

These fit with the C-6, had them in a 71 stang and a 70 torino. No denting, bashing adjustments of any type. Never leaked or cracked. I do recommend the ceramic coating on them to prevent any rust. This can be done at any time, so do as you like.

Flowmaster makes a nice set of 2 1/2" tailpipes ($100 at summit), and you should have the headpipes made at a local shop to clear your vert floor brace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts