Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so did you ever regret it afterwards?

Reason im asking is im about to do just that. I love my mustang, but ive always wanted a fastback.

To me it seems like you can put alot of money in both but if you were to sell the fastback would have more value then a identical coupe.

My uncle who is into cars (corvettes) just told me if your going to be putting that much time and money in this hobby then build your dream car.

I wish i could keep both, but i have to sell one to get the other. The fastback isnt in as good as shape as my coupe which is almost complete all it needs is disc brakes and it would be done. but i still think the fastback has alot more potentional. plus part of me doesnt want a complete car i enjoy building a car my way.

Enough rambling, well any regrets by those who have done this before.
I just put it on craigslist so will see what happens. maybe it wont sell

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I agree with your Uncle. If you really want a fastback, sell the coupe and start putting your money and effort into the car that you really want.

That is what I did. I bought a '67 coupe in 1981, but always wanted an early fastback. In 1985 I found my 4 speed, front disc brake fastback for $3,000. Twenty-three years later I still have it, because it was the car that I really wanted.

Tim

·
Registered
189 Posts
My first car was a runing and driving 67 coupe. I had that car for 6 months then i sold it so i could buy the 68 fb i have now.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
If you've always wanted a fastback and you have a chance to buy a fastback that you obviously want, whats the question here?? You'll always miss the cars you sell but you have a chance to have what you really want. I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
793 Posts
25 years ago I had the chance to buy my dream car a 66 fastback but did not (funny I can't remember why )In the time since I have had many cars but none for very long.Finally this past year I got my fastback and I can't help but think had I bought one back when, I would have saved alot of money and still have it today.Do not settle put the money into the car you really want.

mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go for the fastback.

I sold a '73 Mach to buy a '69 Mach, so I would sell a coupe in a heartbeat (no chevy pun intended). I did regret a little that the car I sold was in much better shape than the one I bought. Since it sounds like you're doing the same here make sure that you are o.k. with that. However, fastbacks are more rare and much more desirable, so make your decision soon before the prices get separated even more.

All four of my mustangs are fastbacks. (yeh, the '93 is technically a "hatchback", and I'm not sure what the '06 is called but it sure looks like a '66 Shelby from the side profile).

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Like others, I sold my 1st coupe to get a fastback. This was 17 years ago, and I still have the fastback (and wouldn't dream of selling it). Get the car you really want, and you won't look back.

Trust your feelings, Luke...

Sincerely,
Obi-Wan

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
I sold my 68 coupe so I could purchase my 68 fastback and although I miss the coupe, because it was my first mustang, I do not regret it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Get what you want. Life is to short. Sounds like you have taken your coupe as far as you wish to. Time to pass it on to a new loving home and get yourself a new toy. I don't regret selling any of my cars. If I haden't sold them then, I wouldn't have the ones I have now.

Anybody want to trade 2 fastbacks and 2 coupes for a 289 cobra needing work? I will even through in a 63 Fairlane.

Larry

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Nope, I kept the coupe and bought the fastback. ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
No regrets here!Sold my first car(coupe 69)worked all summer to buy that car,it was fast and fun.But when the chance came to by my 69 Mach down the road the coupe went,Paid $2,200 for the Mach and 2weeks of owning it while waitng in the parking lot for my girl friend to come out from work a guy walked up and offered me$5k in 100's for the car,I justed about jumped but i knew what i had.And a bonus to the story is that i found out that it is a factory Aztec Aqua Mach which is pretty rare.After years of sitting she's now at the painters,and everyone say's"man i wish i had that car".But buy what you really want and build what you want,you won't look back!Good luck ;)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Laurie_S said:
Nope, I kept the coupe and bought the fastback. ;)
That's what I will one day do. Although my next project will probably be non-mustang. I've done two, so I would like to see what else is out there :)

Although for the time being I don't really want a project. I am just happy to be able cruise around in my car on the weekends :thumbup:

Why did a give my life story again :lol:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Just the opposite - sold my fastback to buy my coupe. Indy 500 Pace Car coupe, but still a coupe!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Traded the 67 Coupe about 15 years ago for the 68 Fastback. Technically I had them both at the same time for awhile, the 67 was a basket case and I parted it in the process of putting the 68 together, then sold what was left.

Never looked back.

Like what was said already, I sort of miss the Coupe because it was my first car ever, but only for about .005 seconds every third year or so.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Started out with a 66 coupe that is long gone but right now I think I will be long gone before any of my fastbacks are gone. Let the coupe go and get the fastback as it is the car you want and it will always be worth way more then the coupe is.
Al

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Until I bought my 65 coupe 2 years ago, all I owned was fastbacks. The reason I bought the coupe was so I could make a "daily driver" type car and fastbacks are too much money and more prone to being ripped off, so I bought a coupe. No regrets.

Buy a fastback if that's what your dream mustang is. Don’t even have a second thought. I really like 67/8 coupes, especially in TransAm trim, but it's all a mater of taste and how thick your wallet is.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I am considering the same thing, I really want a fb, if the chance arose I would jump....

·
Registered
270 Posts
I concurrently owned a '65 GT coupe and a '65 A-code fastback. After selling the building that I was storing them in, one of them had to go. It cost me the same amount of money to completely restore/build my fastback as it would've the GT coupe, yet the 2+2 is worth more than twice what the coupe would be.

Easy choice for me!
Jeff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts