Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surfing Youtube and found this guys. He builds Dynacorn shells in his garage.

Looks like he does a pretty good job of it and does quite a few. Don't know if the link will work, but you can go on Youtube and search for Peterson Restorations

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds comparable to other rolling shells, but it looks like he really cares about gapping panels, etc. It kinda surprised me that all those repro parts fit so well together but we have so much trouble fitting them to our cars.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just recently came across this youtube channel. Does anyone know how much he sells his shells for? Wonder how comparable the cost/features are vs the Dynacorn shells straight from Dynacorn?

Edit: Just watched the video. $19.5K. Sounds like he also has all/most of the interior pieces that came with the original shell.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He calls it a roller so I expect it's got a stock suspension and axle or maybe it's on casters. I think Rusty had a write up about finishing a Dynacorn shell, he spent a lot of time correcting fitment. This guy seems to get it correct from the beginning. Does Dynacorn seam seal?

Also interesting that he will use a full convertible floor and torque boxes

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Dynacorn bodies are not seam sealed, and most all the welds need to be inspected, and some re-welded. I had a couple of seam welds where they completely missed the joint and had to be redone.
Lately, I've been fighting the rear valance fit, because it didn't. The Left side where it joins the quarter panel is fair after modifying the bracket that is welded to the inside of the valance. The Right side is beyond hope and needs some metal welded into it to bring it even close to the rear quarter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
He calls it a roller so I expect it's got a stock suspension and axle or maybe it's on casters. I think Rusty had a write up about finishing a Dynacorn shell, he spent a lot of time correcting fitment. This guy seems to get it correct from the beginning. Does Dynacorn seam seal?

Also interesting that he will use a full convertible floor and torque boxes
Yes, I like the fact that he's using a convertible floor and torque boxes. Great idea. Also, I watched part of one of his videos where he removed the shock towers and made the mods need for a "Mustang II-type" suspension (customer special order, I believe). Nice.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible
676 Posts
It sounds comparable to other rolling shells, but it looks like he really cares about gapping panels, etc. It kinda surprised me that all those repro parts fit so well together but we have so much trouble fitting them to our cars.
Pattern parts will always have the risk of fitment issues.

Original parts had a manufacturing tolerance. If the pattern part was taken off an original part that was at the edge of that tolerance then the pattern part will have a larger tolerance and may no fit. This was especially a problem with the Mustangs as the dies actually wore out from use so if a pattern piece was modeled from one of those pieces the tolerances may have been even worse. I suspect the replica parts have a much greater tolerance (to reduce rejected parts) and/or the QA is, ahem, slack.

It all compounds up to say that we should be glad there are even new parts to have to even make work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts