Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my buddies painted his own car during his off Covid-19 off time and it does not look to bad.
He actually had body work experience as a youngster. He told me give it a try doing the primer and he would help.
If you have done any paint work on your mustang share how it went.
I figure at worse if I do my paint I will have close to a cheap Earl Scheib job lol

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
What do you mean by 'spray prime?'

I paint semi-professionally but science pays the bills better so I stick to that. Yes, you could absolutely prime your own car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey there how is it going, its kind of funny that you asked this question I started another thread which walks you through this whole process step by step great info and there is a picture of my car as I just primered it last week. I recommend you read the entire thread but here is the gist . I am Painting my car in my garage and have no experience
First for best results strip your car to bare metal, You can choose to do body work here or after the next time,,(its debateable)
After stripped to bare metal get a quality brand epoxy primer and spray the car, this is your foundation. Epoxy primer is awesome it sticks to your car like skin and wil show you all of youor cars imperfections,Next if you havent done so already apply a quality body filler follow the directions and block sand until the car is pretty close to perfect. It wont be. Next spray 3 coats of a quality Urethane prime, after your 3rd coat is dry spay a guide coat or aresol black spray paint and once again block sand to find your high and low spots use 180 or 220 grit. One you have the whole car smothed out spray 3 more coats of urethane primer and blok sand again, repeat this process until all of the low spots are gone, the spray another coat of Epoxy.
Hope I didnt man splain to much Here are a few pictures of my car after Epoxy primer

Attachments

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
This is where you read: Painting is a process. So, you really want to use the entire paint system, meaning, the primer being from the same manufacturer as the eventual color coat. Plan accordingly.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Shooting primer is a good way to learn to paint. Be advised that any worthy custom shop will not paint over something you have primed. Those that will are likely not to offer a warranty. After you get the basics of painting using primer you can shoot color and clear as well. Many enthusiasts have done their own paint on driver classics as first time painters. The biggest obstacle for most is having a compressor that will handle the job. You’re looking at a minimum of a 3 1/2 hp 60 gal and an optimum 5 hp 80 gal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Shooting primer is a good way to learn to paint. Be advised that any worthy custom shop will not paint over something you have primed. Those that will are likely not to offer a warranty. After you get the basics of painting using primer you can shoot color and clear as well. Many enthusiasts have done their own paint on driver classics as first time painters. The biggest obstacle for most is having a compressor that will handle the job. You’re looking at a minimum of a 3 1/2 hp 60 gal and an optimum 5 hp 80 gal.
and they aint cheap. Eastwood sells a gun that only needs 4.5 SCFM. CFM if I am not mistaken is what you want to look for in your compressor.
@BugsBunnyMustang the best thing about shooting your own primer.is If you mess up, you are not on the clock and you can Cone here post the mistake,get good advice and go back an fix it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and they aint cheap. Eastwood sells a gun that only needs 4.5 SCFM. CFM if I am not mistaken is what you want to look for in your compressor.
@BugsBunnyMustang the best thing about shooting your own primer.is If you mess up, you are not on the clock and you can Cone here post the mistake,get good advice and go back an fix it.
I might try it.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
I took my Mustang down to bare metal, replaced all the rusted parts, did all the body work and painted it myself. I'm very happy with it. And I did it all in a very small, 2-car garage. These days it's about $10,000 for a good paint job completed in under a year. I figured I could screw it up a few times and still not spend $10,000. Turns out I was right. But I really didn't screw it up.

I had no previous experience with paint or body work.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I had never sprayed before but I stripped and painted everything except the basecoat and clear. Epoxy primed everything then high build primer on the body and lots of sanding. I talked to my painter about products he recommended to coexist with his painting. Small learning curve for spraying primer IMO. Turned out fantastic in the end.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
This is where you read: Painting is a process. So, you really want to use the entire paint system, meaning, the primer being from the same manufacturer as the eventual color coat. Plan accordingly.
Nah, not necessary anymore. Many restoration shops do not do this, nor do I.

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMG_2254.jpeg
I painted both of these in the driveway. I used 2 stage paint. Take your time laying down the color then 4 coats of clear, you can sand out most bugs and imperfections. Spraying Epoxy primer and High build primer will give you some practice. I used a cheap Harbor Freight gun for epoxy primer then an Eastwood gun that cost less than $100 for the rest. I do have some spraying experience but not spraying cars. Wet sanding and buffing will make it look good.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
PLEASE be careful to your lungs and others. There are REALLY nasty chemicals in some paints. For example, many automotive paints contain Isocyanates.

Isocyanates include compounds classified as potential human carcinogens and known to cause cancer in animals. The main effects of hazardous exposures are occupational asthma and other lung problems, as well as irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin.

You see the professional painters wearing full bunny suits, with air hoses in contained booths, filtration, etc. Meanwhile, Joe Average is spraying that stuff in the driveway or 2 car garage while his 3 year old rides past on a Big Wheel.

·
Registered
362 Posts
there is a serious fun factor as well, playingn with the gun and the air compressor, mixing up your paint and then spraying it on the car. AHhhhh good times

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been looking at Ebay Paint I saw a color I like Gloss Black Gallon Kit Single Stage ACRYLIC ENAMEL Car Auto Paint Kit .

·
Registered
286 Posts
In my way of thinking, there are 2 main mistakes, too heavy a coat and you get runs, too thin and paint doesn't cover. Both can be fixed by light sanding and shoot again. Please correct me if I'm wrong before I waste money on a compressor.

Thanks Much!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
In my way of thinking, there are 2 main mistakes, too heavy a coat and you get runs, too thin and paint doesn't cover. Both can be fixed by light sanding and shoot again. Please correct me if I'm wrong before I waste money on a compressor.

Thanks Much!
You're oversimplifying it quite a bit because it's very nuanced. Your air pressure, distance, trigger, needle setting, overlap, speed, and cleanliness of air are all critical in the quality of the coat you put down. Aspire to be a painter, not a sprayer.

There's a number of things that can go wrong...striping, fisheyes from line moisture or panel contamination, runs, dry spray, overspray.

None of these are not reasons to not buy a compressor. If you learn how to do it, then you're not wasting your money.

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
No idea where you are from but when i lived near Tulsa I could sign up for evening painting classes at the local votech. I could use their top of the line down draft booth and equipment while being shown how to do it by a teacher.

My dad and I thought we could save a few bucks and order an ebay paint kit.... his did not cure (imagine a giant orange fly trap, every bug in 3 counties stuck to this thing) and it took a lot of effort to remove the sticky mess. Mine the pigment was so thin as to almost be a candy..... I would avoid the garbage on ebay.

Reactions: Lizer
1 - 20 of 28 Posts