Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I went through an entire paint program at the local votech 10 years ago, they were evening classes. Very helpful to get a good start.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong before I waste money on a compressor.
Which compressor are you looking at?

No idea where you are from but when i lived near Tulsa I could sign up for evening painting classes at the local votech. I could use their top of the line down draft booth and equipment while being shown how to do it by a teacher.
They’ve got a good program here but you have to go through a couple of other basic auto body classes and a general auto class before they let you in the booth. I did TIG, advanced Autocad and Solidworks there but the auto classes are more structured and aimed at career seekers.

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Which compressor are you looking at?

They’ve got a good program here but you have to go through a couple of other basic auto body classes and a general auto class before they let you in the booth. I did TIG, advanced Autocad and Solidworks there but the auto classes are more structured and aimed at career seekers.
The basic bodywork classes I took were aimed at the hobbyist, you could sign up for the career classes but those were typically during the day and set up like college classes. You could also supply the materials and your project for the daytime students to work on if you trusted them to do so.

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I actually tried my hand at the base coat top coat after learning how to spray with primers. I failed. While I did not have any runs, I did have a few spots where I didn't get it wet enough and it felt like sandpaper. I had spots on many panels so IMO it needed a sand and respray. I'm pretty sure if I tried it a second time I could have gotten a pretty darn good paint job out of it. There are definitely some nuances and lots of adjusting. My problem was with the cost of paints I wasn't interested in practicing a lot. In hindsight I should have bought some cheap single stage and practiced on some sheetmetal until I felt like I had a handle on it.

Regarding mixing products, my paint guy didn't specify what brands I should use under his basecoat/top coat but he did approve the brands i chose. I think they just need to be chemically compatible otherwise they don't coexist as well IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
I have been looking at Ebay Paint I saw a color I like Gloss Black Gallon Kit Single Stage ACRYLIC ENAMEL Car Auto Paint Kit .
Are you aware that Gloss Black magnifies every imperfection in the body work? A car MUST be super straight or the gloss black paint will make it stick out like a sore thumb.
A black car in Beaumont, TX? No way Jose, it's already too hot and humid there. Why turn your car into a steam sauna?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Are you aware that Gloss Black magnifies every imperfection in the body work? A car MUST be super straight or the gloss black paint will make it stick out like a sore thumb.
A black car in Beaumont, TX? No way Jose, it's already too hot and humid there. Why turn your car into a steam sauna?
Thats funny its been Raven black the last 50 years :D

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
No idea where you are from but when i lived near Tulsa I could sign up for evening painting classes at the local votech. I could use their top of the line down draft booth and equipment while being shown how to do it by a teacher.

My dad and I thought we could save a few bucks and order an ebay paint kit.... his did not cure (imagine a giant orange fly trap, every bug in 3 counties stuck to this thing) and it took a lot of effort to remove the sticky mess. Mine the pigment was so thin as to almost be a candy..... I would avoid the garbage on ebay.
Wish we could do that here. They closed the vote he paint school years ago.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
799 Posts
I botched a primer application once by using a large air brush to apply the primer on my inner fender. It didn't atomize the primer like a paint gun does. It looked like a gloss gray that wouldn't dry. Lots of scrubbing with paint thinner after that

21 - 28 of 28 Posts