Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 Mustang with a 289 CI 2V, stock and in excellent condition. I installed an Ignitor, Pertronix and their 40,000-v coil about 2-3 years ago. The miss-fire accrues from idle through high RPM. I have changed sparkplugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, as well as fuel filter, coil and checked the voltage to the coil (8 volts). I also performed a compression check looking for a leaky valve; compression ranged from 158 – 163, no problems here! I have not removed the Ignitor system and installed the standard points, Pertronix tells me that the Ignitor unit either works or doesn’t.

SORRY….I also forgot to mention that I removed the resistor wire and hooked the coil directly to the battery!

Any ideas?

[email protected]

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Perhaps searching the archives using Pertronix as a keyword can unravel the mystery. I've seen numerous posts about intermittent ignition problems with the unit in my 3 years here.

Take a peek and maybe you'll get some tips...re-installing the points is one sure-fire diagnostic.....oh, and make sure the Pertronix is getting 12 volts...

Good luck!

·
Registered
21,070 Posts
Yes, definately hook it up to a 12 volt supply. I spoke with Petronix tech. He told me that the Flamethrower coil will work with a resistor, but if you do have a resistor and you have a misfire, disconnect the resistor and run it on 12 volt.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the same problem with my Pertronix a while back. I thought the unit was going bad as when I replaced it with points, my car would run fine. It turns out the 'gap' between the unit and the rotor shaft?! was a little wide. I setup mine as close as possible without touching and now it runs just fine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SORRY….I also forgot to mention that I removed the resistor wire and hooked the coil directly to the battery!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try to reduce the gap, mine looks wide also, almost a 1/16".

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
IIRC, the gap should be 0.030".

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
If the coil is hooked directly to the battery then it's receiving power all the time isn't it? If so, might it be overheating and intermittently shorting out? Just a thought, good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hook up to the battery was only temp, for diagnosis! Didn't change, still a miss.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Have you put a vacuum guage on it yet?

·
Registered
977 Posts
When did it start misfiring, how does it misfire? Does it seem to miss on the same beat every time or is it sporadic? If its sporadic I would say replace the coil and or coil wire. You may have a short somewhere. Yes also do check the gap on the points. Are you getting buildup on the rotor?
Brent

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Started missing a few weeks ago. I have not checked the vacuum; have changed the coil and wire. The miss is sporadic, not like that of a bad plug.

·
Registered
501 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I’ll give the vacuum test a try. I may have a sticky valve. Come to think of it, I started to notice the roughness in the idle a short time after I changed to Valvoline MAXLife 20W50. Didn’t have a miss prior to this. Also the oil pressure gage does not show pressure for about 15 – 20 seconds after a cold engine start-up, once it is up the needle it goes about 1/16” past center. Could this oil be a contributing factor?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Probably not, just coincidentel. The delay is probably a weak or sticky sending unit. Try a little Marval Mystery Oil in the oil and gas, it could help clean things up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just checked the timing, OK: reset the carburetor, OK; checked the voltage (tried 12 volts directly) and the clearance setting of the Pertronix Ignitor, OK; all of this resulted in very little change, still have a miss. SO…I drained a Qt of oil and added a Qt of Marvel Mystery Oil. I should know more after I drive the car to a show in the morning. I sure hope the oil works! I plan on doing the vacuum test in the next few days, I’ll report back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts