Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to install an export brace (new) on my car since the engine is in. I got it mounted at each shock tower but I can't get the holes at the firewall to line up. The export brace seems to be too far back (towards the windshield). I have the car on a jack right now (underneath engine crossmember). I have tried to pry the bar in to place (by putting a long bolt through one hole and hammering it) but nothing seems to work. I know it wouldn't be right to drill new holes so what is the best thing to do? And yes I did do a search on this subject but it seems most people have side-to-side problems. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Let it side over night with the front jacked up. Your problem is quite common. Had the same problem with the export brace on my car too.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Move the jacks back to the front frame members, inline with
the front doors. Then let it sit for a while.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Your car is bending in the middle, bringing the cowl closer to the radiator, for lack of a better description.

Seriously, like Billgear said, it is all in the placement of the jack or jackstands.

Set the front end on jackstands that are positioned as far back on the front frame rails as possible and let the car sit like that for a day. The front end will "droop" back into its intended position and the measurement from the front edge of the cowl to the tops of the shocks will increase back to its original dimensions.

When you see how much these early unibodies sag and flex, you begin to understand why these cars need things like export braces, Monte Carlo bars, and subframe connectors!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts