Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a RetroSound radio in the car that worked well for a few years. Recently one of the speakers stopped playing music but I really didn't care too much. Today I decided to track down the issue. I took the bad speaker out and swapped it with the good speaker nothing. Swapped them back to their original spots and now none of them work. I'm assuming the radio went into protection mode do to a short or something. Was going to replace all the old wiring with new stuff but came to this funky little thing going to the power of the radio. What are these things?

The white one looks like a case for a fuse as there is a little glass tube in there, but not even remotely sure of the other. I had a orange casing on it but I took it off to see what it was. Suggestions?

I'm assuming they are there to prevent shorts and electrical fires. My question is, can I just remove them both and replace with a single read wire for power and have a fuse in there?
Peripheral Electrical wiring Cable Audio equipment Electrical supply

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Cable Wire

Finger Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Terrestrial plant Cable

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,365 Posts
I would sort through all the wires. I don't know what that canister looking thing is. Do you have the instruction booklet with the wiring diagram? My Model Two RetroSound radio has the following input / output electrical connections. Constant +12V (yellow wire), Ignition ACC (connect to +12V) (red), Ground (BLack), Power Antrenna (Blue), Remote AMP turn on lead (Blue/White). I use a 15A fuse on the yellow wire and all other wires are not fused.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would sort through all the wires. I don't know what that canister looking thing is. Do you have the instruction booklet with the wiring diagram? My Model Two RetroSound radio has the following input / output electrical connections. Constant +12V (yellow wire), Ignition ACC (connect to +12V) (red), Ground (BLack), Power Antrenna (Blue), Remote AMP turn on lead (Blue/White). I use a 15A fuse on the yellow wire and all other wires are not fused.
Oh I have no idea what that canister is and it's old. It didn't come with the radio. I installed the radio a long time ago and just replaced the old wiring with new wiring.

·
Registered
69 mustang convertible, 351W, 4bbl, 4 speed, mild cam
215 Posts
That canister looking thing looks as though it could be a FM radio stereo filter. Filters out the Engine noises that travel through speaker wire or something.

just a thought.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Pull the radio and bench test with clean new wiring without that inline filter and a known good speaker.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd second the engine noise filter on that black canister thing. I'd unwrap the electrical tape from around it and see what it looks like. one of my friends who is a big car audio guy thought that is the case. Also, maybe there's a part number listed. As for the other little black canisters that the red wire runs through with the speaker wires...I can't figure those out. As for the white canister coming off your source, that likely is the fuse. On my aftermarket stereo (the previous owner had one put in, so my dash has been violated...can't change it now) I have a blade fuse in the back of the unit. That one is probably the in-line tube fuse (maybe 5v?).

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
613 Posts
I think it would help if we understood what year Mustang you have? Also, the way I have it wired is that I have no fuse on the ignition. The only fuse I have is a 15 amp on 12v constant yellow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts