Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first 2 photos show the existing sensor in the intake manifold. The last 3 show what I have to deal with because of the extra length. And ideas on how modify to make the new sensor to fit or where to mount it? BTW it's an Edelbrock Performer intake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,356 Posts
You need an adapter fitting to screw into the manifold and then the temp sensing bulb will screw into the adapter. The adapter is machined with a recess for the flange on the temp sensing bulb to fit into and then the nut on top squeezes the flange tightly in the recess. You will have a massive water leak without the adapter. The nut above the temp sensing bulb has a straight thread. The hole in the manifold is tapped with a tapered pipe thread.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don"t know what your second sensor is for, but if you must run two like I did for my EFI, you can purchase a thermostat housing that is tapped to accept one. I cannot say that either location is deep enough to accommodate yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
If you have to use an adapter(reducing bushing) you really need the longer probe. It has to be well into the water flow to read correctly. I have a short probe gauge I learned from:(

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
When I installed EFI on my car I had to find an alternate location for my factory coolant sensor. If you have a Performer 289 manifold I know it has a thickened boss cast into the manifold that you can drill and tap to mount the factory sensor. Alternate location shown in picture below with blue tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
This is the adapter I believe awhtx was referring to. I've had the same adapter on the 302 with an E-Brock intake that the car came with, the next 351W with stock cast iron intake, and my current 351W with E-Brock Performer 351 intake. Once you get one, you'll never need another :)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts