Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little back story, a good friend of mine, his dad moved back to Sacramento California a couple years ago and took his trailer and HD soft tail with him. This last February he had a stroke and passed, leaving the enclosed trailer and HD to his only son, my friend Dave. At his dad's memorial service in June he was expressing his concern about how he was going to get the bike and trailer back to MN. My reply was "let's road trip and get it."

So last Tuesday night he picked me up in his FIL brand new z71 2500 diesel and an envelope of cash from his FIL for any expenses. (Very very wealthy in laws). We took turns driving and got a room in Wannamuca Nevada then ran on into CA the next morning. Spent the afternoon with his extended family and hooked and booked the next morning.

We'd made really good time and was about 2 hours from home at about 11 pm last night, coming through Fargo I was running with a pack of cars in what I thought was a 65mph zone, doing 70. All of a sudden there's cherries in the center median. I slowed to 65 and waited to see if he was pulling us. Of course he was. I started to pull over and seen a 55 mph sign. He starts with the usual, ID, insurance etc... Then it was "where you headed, where you coming from." When I said Sacramento, his ears perked up. As my friend is getting his DL out of the center console there was a wad of cash (all small bills but a wad just the same) and so he asked me to come back to the car, asked me to lift my shirt up before getting in and that's when it dawned on me, he thinks we're mules. He asked me every detail about the trip about my and Dave's friendship, and about what was in the trailer. I chuckled when he wrote me the ticket and said I could mail the 15$ fine. Then he asked if I had any issues with him running a dog around the truck. I assured him I had NO issues with it. Then he asked why we came the way we did. I assured him the gps in the truck was in charge of the route. He went on to claim that I should have been on i90 and that there was no way I should be in Fargo. He actually googled the route from Sacramento to Sauk Centre and Google maps showed the exact route that we took. Afterwards he went to speak to Dave and he told the exact story I did. He offered to open the trailer and show him to which the officer did look. A second officer showed up about this time. I'm thinking he's brought the dog. Nope just back up. He wished us well, told us to slow down and let us go. It was the perfect ending to an epic road trip.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also we looked like we could have a trailer load of dope I'm a typical guy, only one visible tat, a shaved head, t shirt and jeans. My buddy on the other hand looks like a meth head, super skinny, lots of tats, flat bill hat, Been in the joint more than once, Dickie shorts etc...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
At least you'll always have a story to remember the trip by!

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
$15 fine? The last I heard the minimum fine for speeding anywhere around here is $150.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At least they didn't rip everything apart, find nothing, and then told you to enjoy the rest of your trip while you pick everything up from the side of the road.
so true. The officer was truly a nice guy, and we both understood his suspicion.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Haha good read. I got a funny Fargo movie stereotype in my head ! Glad you had a decent experience. Also glad you got a $15 ticket not a $150 one. It sounds more like you guys drove through a time warp ! !

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Something is going on in my area also. I live in the north east corner of Texas near a point where you can stand and literally take one step and go to 4 different states. It is something of a landmark.

If anybody read my recent experience with the local sheriff's department that was something of a beginning of this from what I am seeing. Whereas before the time I got stopped, I seldom saw any cruisers pulling over cars, I now see multiple instances a day of cruisers pulling over all sorts of vehicles. We get a lot of through traffic coming from somewhere else, often across the country.

I am suspecting that they have gotten a flag from ICE or DHS that the drug trafficking business is escaping through the border due to the totally overwhelmed situation with Customs. Interstate 20 and the cut off from I 20 through my area provides alternate routes into Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma through good highways but what we consider back roads. I think they are trying to catch the smugglers before they can disappear into the interior of the country.

·
Administrator
13,003 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Just doing their job.
He had no probable cause to ask for a search nor question the route. Nor does he have any right to ask where you came from or where you are going. He was imposing his power on them for nothing more than speeding. A fishing expedition. I find it curious when some here go on and on about the 2nd amendment but look the other way when it comes to issues with the 1st, 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'm thinking that he was looking for inconsistencies in the answers from the two... As far as asking about running a dog around the car...he doesn't even have to ask...the dog would be outside the car and the last time I checked taking a dog for a walk is not a crime...even a k9 dog...lol... I'm happy they are out there, if you got nothing to hide what is the difference...small inconvenience at most...

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm just glad he didn't find the drugs, I hope this is a lesson - you guys got away with it this time, perhaps its time to find a different source of income...

;o)
Close call for sure. :) We'll be taking I90 next time.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He had no probable cause to ask for a search nor question the route. Nor does he have any right to ask where you came from or where you are going. He was imposing his power on them for nothing more than speeding. A fishing expedition. I find it curious when some here go on and on about the 2nd amendment but look the other way when it comes to issues with the 1st, 4th and 5th.
He had no probable cause but that doesn't mean he can't ask. I can refuse to answer and have in the past. I had no reason to open that can of worms. He imposed nothing but the traffic stop, he was professional and polite even after he proved himself wrong on the route. NO constitutional rights were violated during the stop.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.