Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering purchase of a HANS or Hutchins or similar device for 2006. Starting out with the research now, anyone using one now have any opinins/comments etc. to share?

thanks Tom

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the Safety Solutions D Cell Harness. I chose it because it is independent of the shoulder harness (HANS) or the lap belt (Hutchens) devices. Failure of any of the car mounted restraint belts render the Hans and Hutchens ineffective. Do any of these devices truly perform as claimed? Any crash test engineers out there?

Now, I do believe that all these devices work to somewhat limit head and neck movement...the theory seems sound. Does anyone have any testing data comparing the different systems?

I have seen the HANS device in action on the Hans website (straight forward deceleration), but how does the Hans (and other devices) perform in protecting the user when the deceleration is from the side, or in a spin, or a roll (barrel or endo) before impact?

Food for thought,
Henry V

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check this one out...

www.r3device.com

It's also independent of anything attached to the car. If I can get real-world recommendations on it, I'll probably go with this one. Properly-worn harnesses are extremely critical to the effectiveness of the HANS, and that scares me.

I was at a track event at VIR this past weekend, and there were a LOT of drivers wearing neck supports. Seems as if this is becoming a standard safety accessory. Max

·
Registered
252 Posts
I can tell you that 19 cars were piled up at Road America
this summer in July!!
All but 2 had HANS devices on, result was 1 broken arm
I bought mine the next day.
I don't know what the comment about seat belt connections
The HANS goes under the seat belt, if they break I have bigger problems that my neck or head
I feel Naked now if I do not have my HANS on,
Almost everone I know has one now...hint...hint Charlie
I won't drive without it.
T

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input. I read thru the provided links (and others I've found), and am waiting like everyone else to see if the Issac device and the other lower cost units are in or out. Of course my own neck is priceless, but a $ 900 price tag is a lot of bag lunchs...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts