Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know to torque the head bolts to 70lbs and I used teflon on them etc...

Now I need to know the sequence to torque them. Does anyone have a link to a diagram/picture??? I know in 1/3 incraments but what sequence. Thanks guys! ~Nick

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
With the lack of a tightening sequence diagram, a general rule of thumb is to start in the center and work your way outward. Give it a miunte though and someone will come through with a diagram.

Dave

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Work from the inside bolts out to make sure the gasket seats correctly. As far as teflon tape goes, I dont think that you need it. I believe that you should coat the threads of the bolts with oil and just install them.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
and I used teflon on them
Teflon tape? Like plumbers tape? I'd take that off and as previously stated oil the bolts and then install 'em. The tape will probably effect your torque readings (for the worse).

Dave

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
You should get instructions with new head gaskets. basically, you start with the center (long bolt first) then the short one by the exhaust, then the two to the right, then the two to the left, continue like that until all 10 are done. The front two should be last using this method

Don't follow these torque specs as they are for aluminum heads, but on the bottom of page three you will see a diagram

Link

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
IIRC, bolt torques into cast iron are dry (cast iron contains graphite).

I always have started with the center long bolt and worked down, then out in a zig-zag pattern across the center to the outer edges in 3 torgue stages,25/50/final, then rap each bolt head with a non-metallic hammer/drift and repeat the final reading.

You won't find that in any manual LOL...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts