Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Actually, I'm wanting to buy the American Thunder exhaust system pronto for my current '66 289 stock heads power steering and auto tranny, which prompts me to think of how it's going to connect to the manifolds.

Keep in mind that I want nearly 350 street/strip hp with solid toque using the 289 (possibly stroked) when it's all over, and get there on an incremental budget.

I then consider I definitely don't want to stick with the manifolds, which then I'm worried about headers that will match the current manifolds and the heads I'm going to get later. At this point, my best guess is an Edelbrock Performer head, but I haven't ruled out the others just yet, as I know I want a roller cam and probably roller rockers, and I'm not sure how interchangeable the valve trains are.

Anyway, at this point I'm confused about how interchangeable the exhaust/header/head combos are . . am I worrying about it too much?

I'm considering shorty headers for the better better torque and installation ease and ground clearance, however, I hear that MAC headers fit well, and work on GT40P, but do they work on Edelbrok Performers?

Also, does porting intake/exhaust make it so that it will only work for that combo?

Anyway, thanks for de-mystifying some of these things, I just need some general safe upgrade paths.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The mustang/small block combo is pretty popular....getting headers that fit both heads probably wont be a prob....the only heads I know work better with unusual headers are the GT40P heads (and theyre not that popular and dont flow that well anyway.....)

Since you plan on getting aluminum heads (and thus a lot of breathing capapbility), you may want to find a set of headers with 1 5/8 tubes that are ok for use with power steering.....you shouldnt have a problem finding a set with the stock exhaust bolt pattern....most headers require the power steering bracket anyway (an easy install)

My 69, which is on the back burner for a LONG time to come, has a 351W. I'm thinking I'm going to use the Jack Roush designed heads (made by world products)....they, like many aftermarket heads, have DUAL header bolt patterns.

BTW, if you use guideplates when you get heads, dont forget hardened pushrods.......but overall, the header compatibility shouldnt be an issue!

Some true experts can port heads to work best with a particular set of headers, but it's rarely an issue.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any good quality 1 5/8 header should meet your requirement.
Heads and headers are ported to gaskets not each other, although it ends up being the same thing...

Regards,

BillGear

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, good to hear, I guess I can make my exhaust AND header order at the same time . . I was considering getting the uncoated hedman cheapies until I figured out which header would fit the head, but since I shouldn't have to worry bout compatibility, I guess I can consider the JBA shorties!

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts