Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how would i I.D a 302 head? i've found the "302" numbers on it, but how do i know if its a 2bbl or a 4bbl head? thanks

---doug

·
Registered
540 Posts
They have the same heads on 2v and 4v carbs. The only difference was carb and compression which was cause of piston and not heads.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
In all likelihood, it's a 2v head. The 4v heads were particular to the '68 year only, so are actually pretty rare. Most of the 4v heads have "4V" cast into the top (between the spring pads), but I have heard of some that didn't.

Basically you need to get the casting number and/or date code. If the date code is '69 or later, they're 2v heads. Casting should be a C80E or C80F to be a 4v head.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where would i find these casting #s? also, im not sure if these are original heads or nopt, but they are on my '68.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Look for casting number on bottom side of head. Should be C7OE or something similar. CC & 2v / 4v can be determined from that. I have charts to decipher -- please furnish casting #.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bottem side of head, as in taking the head off the block bottem side? or somewhere else? i looked again and foung "9A41" in between the springs, and an "E" in the same area. not sure if that helps but thats what ive found so far.

---doug

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
also, im not sure if these are original heads or nopt, but they are on my '68.
The ONLY Mustangs to ever get the 302 4v heads was the '68 J codes. So if your car is not a J code, you would only have the J code heads if someone swapped them on. If your car IS a J code, odds are good you have the J code (4v) heads.

Casting numbers should be on the bottom side of the head.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
That is a casting date - but should be 9A11, 9A21 or 9A31. Decodes as 1969 ( 9 ), January ( A ) & then date of 11th, 21st or 31st. Look on side which mates to top of block for casting number.

·
Registered
540 Posts
1968 heads were practically the same at 289 heads right? I know that later 302 heads are different, different CCs causing lower compression, but i thought that 68 heads were the just about the same as late 289 heads.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
They have the same heads on 2v and 4v carbs. The only difference was carb and compression which was cause of piston and not heads.
That was true in '65-'67, not true from '68 on. In '68, the blocks were the same (that I'm aware of), but the J codes got the 4v heads. They have much smaller combustion chambers, and the larger valves (not 351w larger, but larger than the 289 heads). This made the J code heads some of the best SBF heads, "back in the day".

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks all, there just regular 302 heads.

Another BIG question, for a little better performance, what heads (if i should) should i get as aftermarket ones. i'd be using it as a daily driver and on the weekends, at the raceway.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I thought 69 heads were when they started to change, i thought i was once told one day here that the 68 heads were just about the same as the 289 heads. Maybe they were talking about non J code heads. Learn something everyday!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
My "head chart" shows all 302 heads to have 1.78" intake & 1.45" exhaust. Maybe it is not totally accurate.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
1968 heads were practically the same at 289 heads right?
Depends ... The 289's from '65-'67 had 1.67/1.45 valves and 54.5cc chambers. In '68 the 289 and 302 2v heads had huge 63cc chambers (low compression), and the same small valves of the 289 (basically the heads are dogs). Starting in '69, the cumbustion chambers stayed the same (63cc), but they got larger intake valves (1.78). The '68 J code heads were the first to get the larger intake valve, but had small, 53.5cc combustion chambers ... smaller than the original 289 heads. This gave the '68 J codes bigger intake valves and more compression than any factory 289.

The J code heads are rare, and still good heads to use.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
My "head chart" shows all 302 heads to have 1.78" intake & 1.45" exhaust. Maybe it is not totally accurate.
That's only the J code heads (4v) and '69/later. '68 289 and 302 heads were the same ... small valves and large combustion chambers. Ford improved on them in '69 (second year of the 302).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ya its coming back to me now, i believe that the Hipo heads had the same size valves as the 302 head with the slightly smaller combustion chamber. Anyone have a factory ford head book to check on that?

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Yes, my "head chart" shows '64 & up Hi-po heads have 1.78" intake & 1.45" exhaust like all 302 heads. Early '63 Hi-po heads had 1.67" intake & 1.45" exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
You 'da man mstngjoe. That matches the info I was gleening from "How To Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines" by Tom Monroe -- but your chart is much prettier than my typing it down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts