Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Are the headlight buckets on a 69 painted inside and out body color,I took mine off the fender and they seam to both have some black,and it doesn't look like it's ever been off the car

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think they are painted body color unless you have a boss 302, which I think had blacked out headlight buckets. :track:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Hi Morris, as stated the out board area (low beam area) was painted black on 69 Boss 302's only. One thing that Ford was supposed to do to all 69's (according to the documentation anyways) was to black-out the area around the highbeam headlight that could be seen through the grill. Sometimes it was just a little bit of black paint towards the low beam side of the buckets, sometimes it was slopped all over the inside. I've noticed that its been mostly omittedon California cars. I'm sending you a couple pictures of some originals to demonstrate what I mean.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I've seen the highbeam area blackout as well. It appears that the black paint is brushed on. Again it is only the area facing outward. Backside should be body color.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Generally the inners are painted semi-gloss black spray over exterior color the outers may just lack a decent coat of paint near the very center of the headlight recesses

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I've seen quite a few of them that just had semi-glass black slopped on with a paint brush. Of course they were all Metuchen built cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts