Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Im asking for some advice on behalf of my dad who is having some work done on his 67 GTA s code with power steering. Its currently at a professional shop getting a bunch of different things done to make it a nice driver again and one of the things my dad was adamant about getting was headers. He ordered these headers (link below) and the shop installed them and said they fit really well especially for the confined space with the big block, but the issue they've run into is header interference with the pitman arm when turning the wheel. He was also replacing alot of the power steering components and ordered the power steering drop down bracket for the assist cylinder in anticipation of the possible interference with long tube headers. Has anyone experienced this issue and come up with a solution that involves keeping long tube headers and a power steering setup? Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
...but the issue they've run into is header interference with the pitman arm when turning the wheel. He was also replacing alot of the power steering components and ordered the power steering drop down bracket for the assist cylinder in anticipation of the possible interference with long tube headers.

If the interference is between the pitman arm and the headers then the drop bracket is not going to cure the problem. Many people resort to a ball pien hammer to cure problems like that but I'd call Doug's first.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The headers in your link state they are made for cars modified using Mustang II steering. You don't have a PS slave cylinder if you have Mustang II steering. How is the drop bracket going to work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The headers in your link state they are made for cars modified using Mustang II steering. You don't have a PS slave cylinder if you have Mustang II steering. How is the drop bracket going to work?
Yeah the tag line is a little misleading. But if you open the link it states that the headers are for "classic mustang but have found it ALSO works with mustang II front suspension".

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Power steering and headers...with a big block. I believe those hi dollar FPA’s (800-1000$) are the only option that is a guaranteed fit. Part of the reason I used Factory 428 exhaust manifolds On my 390 In my 70. I’ve got power steering too.
Luckily, I already had them and they are MUCH larger than the puny 390 ones. No issue with fit, nothing hits, and works perfectly with power steering. Too bad they cost as much as the FPA’s. So not the best solution unless you have some laying around like I did. If you are going to throw down that kind of $, then go FPA. There is more flow and horses to be had with the headers.

Reactions: jspencerfielding

·
Registered
410 Posts
I’m not going to bash FPA , they were very good looking headers, but I did have some fitment issues. I had made my own motor mounts so I wasn’t sure if the issues were mine or FPA s. Some people on the web had some issues on their reviews. Just saying that you need to be comfortable spending that kind of money, and be sure you tell FPA all of the mods on your car. Mine would fit in the end, but it’s tough to bring yourself to ball pien a brand new set of headers that were by no means cheap.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I placed an order for ceramic coated FPA's for my 390 a couple weeks ago. He said they would clear my quicktime bellhousing and power steering if I had it. I'm actually removing the power steering from my car to clean things up, more accurately, I'm not going to re-install power steering when I finish my build. I figure if manual steering doesn't work for me, I'm going to install electric power steering.

The main reasons I went with FPA's are because mainly they are not supposed to hang as low as other long tube headers and that they can be built to work with my Edelbrock heads.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I placed an order for ceramic coated FPA's for my 390 a couple weeks ago. He said they would clear my quicktime bellhousing and power steering if I had it. I'm actually removing the power steering from my car to clean things up, more accurately, I'm not going to re-install power steering when I finish my build. I figure if manual steering doesn't work for me, I'm going to install electric power steering.

The main reasons I went with FPA's are because mainly they are not supposed to hang as low as other long tube headers and that they can be built to work with my Edelbrock heads.
I think if my engine is ever back out, I will go back to a manual steering set up with a new box myself. I have been watching the post to see how people are doing with electric power steering myself. Yes sir, the FPA’s are tucked up very nicely and out-of-the-way for sure. I’m sure they will work out nice for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks guys. Ill relay that info to him and hopefully the shop was able to dent the dougs headers just enough to make it work. Or grind the pitman arm a little bit. If not it sounds like a call to FPA needs to be made. For those who did have success with FPA, were your cars automatic or manual? This is a 390 GTA

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
390/C6 factory 428 exhaust manifolds to factory h pipe, and chock-built power steering. All stuffed in my 70 coupe.

Reactions: jspencerfielding

·
Registered
410 Posts
I’m running a TREMEC 3550 5speed trans ( mechanical linkage) with Borgenson PS. Lowered engine mounts also.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I've got hooker super comp long tube headers in my '68 fastback with a 428 FE.

4 speed and power steering- I needed to use the drop down bracket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts