Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The restoration shop is about to pull my engine....1966 Mustang convertible 289-4v...I want to replace the stock exhaust with Shelby tri-y headers and any and all info will be appreciated (suppliers, coatings, mufflers, pitfalls). Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Just went through this on my 66 FB. Bought Patriot ceramic coated tri-y's from VA Mustang back in January on the assumption they would fit right the first time. Wrong. Needed some "help" fitting on the passenger side around the shock tower. Drivers side with Z-Bar (I have a 4 speed) was very tight but did go in without any "help". Ran them to 2.5" H-Pipe to flowmasters and out and over the rear axel to turn downs under the rear valance. Very, very loud but it did open up the exhause over the 2" system I had before. More low end from what I can feel and seems to have more power. I would definatley not get flowmaster 2 chamber unless you just want to go deaf early. I let the exhaust guy talk me into them. I will be changing them out soon for something a little more quieter.

There are lots of options for header that will fit right the first time without help. I am sure someone will chime in with some good alternatives. I am happy with the Patriots so far but only time will tell if they will stand up to the heat or not.

·
Registered
412 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts