Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 ford mustang coupe with a 289/c4/ power steering/power brakes. I am planning on installing a set of tri-y headers later on this week. to make the process go faster what will i need to take of the car to get the old manifolds off and the new headers in? also are there any tips out there for installing headers and not haveing them leak constantly? any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Well, tell us what parts you have already for the installation....

Do you have to drop the PS ram down with a new bracket to use your new headers?

Most important thing to remember when removing the old manifolds is to take your time....
You may have to deal with rusty, stuck fasteners so having some rust dissolver or penetrating oil is helpful. IMO, being able to plan for all contingencies ahead of time is nearly impossible unless you have a lot of experience with this type of work....so just take it one step at a time and don't rush...

IMO, quality headers properly installed should never leak.....spend the extra money to get a good quality header....preferably with a 3/8" machined flange where they mate with the heads, 14 guage tubing and a 5/16" fixed collector flange.

Get back to us with what you have already and any special instructions from the header mfg. and we'll add some more to your parts list...*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know if this will really help with the headers leaking or not but i got some cheaper gasket that goes between the header and the block and no matter what i did i couldnt get them to stop leaking. the surfaces were way clean too. so i went to the auto parts store and asked for some of the gaskets that go between the block and the header and they brought out some really nice, kind of thick ones. they were made out of some sort of metal or something. the run for about $30, but them to me, are worth all of it!!!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Excellent suggestion....stock gaskets are a poor choice with headers, even high quality ones....

If everything is flat and smooth, you can go gasketless with just a bead of RTV red around each port....let it skin up, then bolt up and go....works great...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a 289 also but i have some cheap flowtech headers for now which were very hard to intall cuz i couldnt fit a wench on the bolts on the account of the tubes being in the way. anywho, they started leaking so i ordered earls gaskets (from summit). they are aluminum with graphite foil inserts, no more leaking. i know they are expensive and many people would probaly laugh at me for spending the money, oh well, im happy, the other thing i bought is a set of stainless steel bolts from summit, they are great because they are much smaller than the bolts that came with the headers and helped alot. plus they are stainless and wont rust which in my opinion ruins the look of things...........
.............brian.............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts