Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got half of a can of expensive but worthless at keeping down rust header paint left over. Before I reinstall my stainless but dirty calipers I thought I splash some paint on 'em. How hot do calipers get? I assume the header paint, which is rated up to 1400 degess IIRC, will hold up.....

True or False? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Dickson

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,201 Posts
I think brake component heat would fall well below that mark. Take some pics when you do it.....

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope so.....Considering the the "pucks" in the caliper are sealed with rubber seals, I assume that it does not get anywhere near header temps. Ya never know....

The calipers look fine really...just a little dirty with brake dust and old flaking silver paint (PO).....I'll give it a try. Dickson

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,336 Posts

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,336 Posts
My only concern is that the paint may keep the heat in the caliper instead of radiating it out... Probably not an issue on a street driven car...

I really, really hope my brakes never get as hot as my headers! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
DOT 3 brake fluid boils around 600 F. or close to it. Racing brakes get hotter and require higher temp fluid. But I think that the worse case if you paint you calipers is that the paint might bubble up. Also, make sure your prep is very clean and keep the brake fluid off the paint afterwards. Brake fluid is known for removing paint.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gene - I don't know if you recall my posts, but this header paint came highly recommended, and not cheap either. Granted, my Tri-Ys are cheap steel, but I followed the prep and painting instructions to the letter. The paint looked great, and did not burn off or peel, but did almost nothing to keep down the rust here in humid New Orleans (birthplace of mildew).

Like you, at "roadracer"s suggestion, I bought a rattle can of flat black BBQ paint at Home Depot, figuring I'd give it a shot. Took a short drive to drive off any moisture and brush painted those suckers will little expections....Guess what - they still look great. All from a $4.99 can of paint and a $.25 brush...../forums/images/icons/smile.gif Dickson

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just sorry I ever wasted $$ on that [email protected] header paint....Other than that the headers look great.

If they start to rust or peel again I'll "invest" another $5.24 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts