Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he guys

i am having a 289 motor built and they are going to use 351 windsor heads on it rather than the 289 heads for better breathing. i was going to order some tri-y headers for it but then got thinking. tri-y lists the headers for 260 / 289 / 302 only. will the 260 / 289 / 302 tri-y headers bolt up to the 351 windsor heads? i believe the castings are exactly the same as they are all from the "windsor" family but not sure about bolt patterns etc. anybody confirm if the exhaust ports and bolt patterns is the exact same whether its a 289 or a 351 windsor head?

thx
kent

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Tri-y headers will fit because the exhaust ports are in the same location as 289/302's.
The differences in the 351W head are really all internal.
I'd probably use the Doug's tri-y or Doug Thorley 289Y. Far better than any standard
tri-y and they'll actually fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
351W heads

KBar, yeah, they'll fit fine. But what year are they ? Many 351W heads are the same as 302 heads. And what pistons do you have ? You might be losing compression........LSG

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the heads are '69 heads with the 60cc chamber. i am also running a '68 302 crank and rods. my machine shop is going to do some math and select pistons that should get me in the 10.5 to 1 ratio apparently. which will probably net around 10 to 1. keep my fingers crossed........

thx
kent

·
Registered
38 Posts
depends on your budget

Kb, you can have ten to one if you want it,.....but you'll need exspensive pistons to get there. If you want to stay reasonable budget-wise, I would suggest the 3101HC and the the Hastings 2M139 rings in whatever size you need. LSG

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys

just thought i'd update things with my motor build. attached some pics as i know if there are no pics it didn't happen. so stock 289 block .30 over on the bore. 302 crank and rods .10 over on the journals. hyper eutectic pistons. comp flat tappet hyd. cam. 351 windsor heads. scorpion roller rockers. edelbrock performer manifold ( i know, you guys dont seem to like them). quick fuel technologies 600 CFM slayer series carb in black diamond. dual roller timing chain. scott drake tri-y headers dumping into an arvinode exhaust with GT trumpets. everything shot peened and balanced. new clutch.

so heres where the questions start:

tri-y's. test fit them tonight. cannot get 3 header bolts in on each side! looks like the header tubes have to be banged a fair bit for the bolts to clear them. not sure how to do this? apply some heat? anybody have any experience with this?

valve covers. my cobra valve covers are NOT the tall ones and they wont clear the roller rockers! have the double thick gaskets but they still hit. need a set of tall valve covers for clearance. like the finned cobra ones. anybody have a good source for these?

quick fuel carb. the linkage for the carb has got me confusede. the throttle linkage rod pops right onto the carb but how the heck do you hold it there? the little clip off my autolite 4100 wont work????

think thats about it for now. interested in your input and as always much appreciated!

thx
kent

Attachments

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
tri-y's. test fit them tonight. cannot get 3 header bolts in on each side! looks like the header tubes have to be banged a fair bit for the bolts to clear them. not sure how to do this? apply some heat? anybody have any experience with this?
I'm wondering if the APR bolts will clear. Nothing worse than banging in new headers when its not necessary, especially ceramic coated.

valve covers. my cobra valve covers are NOT the tall ones and they wont clear the roller rockers! have the double thick gaskets but they still hit. need a set of tall valve covers for clearance. like the finned cobra ones. anybody have a good source for these?
Cobra Automotive produces the tall Cobra Valve Covers with fins. I believe they sell them direct and through CJPP.

quick fuel carb. the linkage for the carb has got me confusede. the throttle linkage rod pops right onto the carb but how the heck do you hold it there? the little clip off my autolite 4100 wont work????
You could use the original rod with a small hole drilled through the end to run a clip through it, however I wouldn't recommend it. Best solution is changing out the OE rod for the ball type attachment on each side with threaded shaft.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the same valve covers and roller rockers . You need to drill holes in the baffles . Put a piece of clay on the baffle set it in place on the head push down on the valve cover and it will show you where to drill . I had to drill four holes in each valve cover . drill a 1/4 " pilot hole then use a hole saw , you may or may not need the double gasket after that .

·
Registered
116 Posts
hey guys

If you start by threading one bolt all the way in and seating the header flange against the head, you won't be able to get a few in as they will be forced at an angle. When installing Tri-Y's, place the problem bolts in the header flange before bringing header up to the engine. Get those bolts threaded in first and then install the bolts that will go straight in. Don't know if this is your exact issue but I've found many Tri-Y's need to be installed this way.

My friend tried SD Tri-Y's. He ended up sending them back because they contacted the shock towers, bell housing, and the starter. He would of had to mod the hell out of them to fit. He and I also used the ebay headers 2nd 66 mentioned and these fit well with very little modifications. The only mod I had to do was with the Z bar. After putting 1000 miles on these stainless headers, they have turned a slight gold color.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts