Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to wrap my Hedman headers with fiberglass header tape but the instructions from Heddman say it will shorten the life of the headers. Anybody know why? If rust is the issue I don't think it will be a problem here in AZ.
Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think that is the issue. I have always heard that the wrap will hold in moisture and cause rust. Good luck with it. I have tried to apply it and have never been able to get it to look worth a crap.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
They will cause premature rust. I had the headers wrapped on one of my 427 cobras and they do retain moisture. I don't know if the fact that you live in AZ will make a difference or not, it might.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
it's a combination of retaining moisture and the increased heat held in the metal. If you give the headers a good coating of high temp exhaust paint after stripping them bare, that should help some but it doesn't do anything to protect the inside of the tubes.

IMO, ceramic header coatings are lot better looking while keeping the headers from rusting. They do help reduce underhood temps, just not as much as the wraps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I live out in San Diego and have wrapped my headers and they do help keep the temp under the hood down a good little bit. I haven't had any troubles with rust or anything like that more then when I didn't have them wrapped. Not saying it isn't true, just my experience.

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
wildhorse629 said:
I live out in San Diego and have wrapped my headers and they do help keep the temp under the hood down a good little bit. I haven't had any troubles with rust or anything like that more then when I didn't have them wrapped. Not saying it isn't true, just my experience.
Just curious how much use your car gets? I'd like to get an idea what the life span of wrapped headers is, mileage wise.

Z. Ray

·
Registered
767 Posts
My personal viewpoint: If you're going to use the car a lot or show it with the hood open: get ceramic.

If you aren't, then only wrap the headers if you are trying to keep the underhood temps down slightly (the wrap isn't near as effective as ceramic coating), or if you're trying to protect something near the headers (clutch/speedo cable, etc). If you are using header wrap, you're thinking of the headers as a cheap/disposable part, which isn't necessarily wrong, but don't be surprised when you need to replace them in a few years.

I have ceramic coated headers on my daily driver Jeep. The look the same as the day I installed them after 4 years and 35K miles. (Well, they look the same except for the clearancing dent I had to put in the them to clear the front diff. :) )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts